We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak new Baggage policy

Kobe, Japan
3 posts
Save Topic
Amtrak new Baggage policy

I have a 70 inches linear luggage and will travel from NYP to PHL. Amtrak starts a new baggage policy on September 20, 2012. Do they strictly restrict the size? What do I do?

Thank you.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

The carry-on baggage policy does not limit linear inches, it limits three dimensions. What are your suitcase's dimensions?

I have not heard any reports of them measuring carry-on bags. I expect that as long as it isn't ridiculously oversized, and you can store it safely in the overhead bins or luggage area, that you'll be fine. Worst case, they might charge you a fee.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

Amtrak's de facto practice has been that as long as you can carry it on you're OK.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

Amtrak has a new baggage policy as of September 10th, Auden. While I absolutely agree that up until this point they've been very lax about the baggage, the fact that they're implementing a new policy suggests that they're more likely to enforce it.

Has anyone ridden Amtrak since the 10th? Any insight?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

70" is just way too big to manage, regardless of the SIZE they allow.

Effective Sept 10, 2012:

-- Each passenger can check up to 4 bags - 2 free of charge, 2 for $20 ea.

-- Each bag in checked baggage limited to size of 75 linear inches (length + width + height). Oversize baggage (76 - 100 linear inches) is accepted for $20.00/bag.

-- Luggage must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled train departure.

-- Rates for storage, parcel check will increase to $4.00 ($5.50 at New York Penn Station) per bag for each 24 hour period.

-- Special item rates will increase from $5.00 to $10.00. Tandem bicycles and kayaks are no longer accepted.

-- Each bag checked must be packed within a suitable container; plastic/rubber storage containers are prohibited.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

Amtrak checked baggage does not have to travel on the same train you are on and, in the Northeast Corridor, it almost always cannot.

The checked baggage would travel on an overnight train, so you'd either need to bring it the day before your trip or pick it up the day after your trip.

What are the actual dimensions of your suitcase? We can probably figure out whether it's plausible for you to bring it with you on the train. You may want to get a "Red Cap" to provide luggage assistance to the train. There's no charge bur be sure to tip the Red Cap.

Kobe, Japan
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

All responders:

Thank you very much for your valuable advice.

I'm planning to travel from NY to Philadelphia with my baggage from overseas which dimensions are 54 X 81.5 X 30.5 inches. At this moment I will bring it with me on the train.

DC
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

No, those aren't the dimensions. I could fit in that bag. Comfortably.

Another thing to consider is that Amtrak usually does not check any bags on their Northeast Corridor trains; everything has to be carried on. So the rules may be different for these trains since there is no checked bag option.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,421 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

I do not believe that your bag is 81 inches long. That's almost seven feet - taller than you are. (207 cm) Did you mean 81.5 cm? That's something like 30 inches.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

Matsuo, one inch = 2.54 centimeters. You are saying that your bag is 207 centimeters long, 137 centimeters wide, and 77 centimeters high!!!

That is a VERY big bag -- and I suspect that BrooklynBrdge is right: you are confusiong centimeters with inches.

If your bag is really being measured in centimeters, then it is really 32 inches long, 21 inches wide, and 12 inches high -- a normal bag, and one that meets the Amtrak requirements.

In any case, the requirements seem to apply to CHECKED luggage -- and there is no need to check your bag at all; simply take it with you onto the train.

Edited: 3:04 pm, September 27, 2012
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amtrak new Baggage policy

Amtrak does have a policy that ostensibly limits the size of carry-on bags:

"Each passenger may only bring a total of 2 carry-on items onboard the train; each item should not exceed 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches."

My experience, before the new baggage policy took effect, was that Amtrak made no effort to measure people's bags or stop anyone from bringing very large bags onto trains. (The old policy also stated that there were size limits for carry-on bags.) I assume that is still the case, but I have not taken Amtrak since the new baggage policy took effect.