We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schedule Bus Route through Manhattan

Cork Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Schedule Bus Route through Manhattan

1. Read about a bus route that travels North through Manhattan towards the Cloisters I recall but cannot find the link now. I dont know whether I saw it here or read it elsewhere. It gave the bus number and where to pick it up in lower Manhattan. Have tried a google search but no luck! We always use public transport when visiting a city so we would prefer this to a conventional bus tour.

2. We arrive next Monday Feb. 14 for a week and see theres a high chance of rain/snow early next week. We dont mind the cold (were in South Island of NZ for their winter) but will the rain/snow detract a lot from SOL/Ellis Island/general walking around?

3. Going to book a show this week before we go. In our 50s ��� we thought Phantom of the Opera or Fiddler on the Roof ? and a big ask -but we know how good you all are- whats the minimum seats we should be looking at (or ones we should avoid) in these theatres.

Thanks again to all who contribute to the forum.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schedule Bus Route through Manhattan

I can only respond about the theater tickets... I don't like the very back of anything in the theaters... orchestra, mezzanine or balcony.

I don't usually like balcony at all--too high. Mezzanine is usually okay if the seats are the first few front rows in the center).

At all levels, I do not like the seats to the far extreme left or right (seats on the aisle of left or right is okay, but not the ones closest to the wall, the angle is too intense.)

I would avoid any seats labelled as "obstructed view."

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Schedule Bus Route through Manhattan

The M4 bus begins near Penn Station, on W. 32nd St. and 7th Ave., then heads across 32nd St. to Madison Ave., turns left and continues all the way uptown, finishing at the Cloisters.

Here's the MTA link, where you can get a bus map:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/index.html

For theater tickets, go to www.broadwaybox.com and follow the links on the right side of their home page for info on ordering discount tickets in advance. Go for center orchestra tickets.... when you look back on your vacation, you won't remember the extra few dollars you spent for better seats, you'll just remember the wonderful experience.

Once you've booked your theater, you will also need to make reservations for pre- or apres-theater dining. Let us know which show you book and you'll get lots of recommendations for nearby restaurants.

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schedule Bus Route through Manhattan

The #4 bus runs north along Madison Avenue pretty much the length of Manhattan up to the Cloisters and returns south along 5th Avenue. At each bus stop there is a sign that tells you what buses stop there. Just get to Madison (or anywhere along 32nd Street between 7th Avenue and Madison) and check the bus stops for the #4.

Bad weather shouldn't affect the SOL. The only part of Ellis Island that's outdoors is the wall of remembrance. The rest is indoors. The bad weather might detract from the ferry ride, but I would not eliminate Ellis Island because of the weather.

As far as theater seats, it's a matter of taste. I usually try for the center orchestra (first 12 rows) or front mezzanine center.

Cork Ireland
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Schedule Bus Route through Manhattan

Thanks to you all. Really looking forward to our trip now.

Although we have visited many parts of the US this is our first trip to New York and really appreciate all your help. We have used the Fodors forum before for other countries but this forum really is the best for NY.

We've already booked a few restaurants for the other nights so we'll check out the theatre ticket situation and then decide on one for that night.