We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

My home town's definition of winter is 10 degrees (Celsius) so I really have little idea how to dress for a XMAS/New Year winter holiday in NYC. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

Warm Clothes. Hat. Gloves. Scarf. Comfy warm shoes/boots. Temperature is commonly below 0 Celsius. BTW, use the Celsius scale here and you would get a lot of blank looks as we exclusively use Farenheit. And in December or January, the temps could go down to 10 F or even lower. You also have to consider the "Wind Chill Factor." Thus, it may be 38 outside, but with a WCF of 26.

I have found that it is best to dress in layers. That way, when you enter the inevitably over heated building you can layer down.

Canberra
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

My husband and i are from Canberra and we spent last Christmas and New Years in New York.

It was cold but the same as a cold Canberra winter day, when we were there the lowest it got was -5. We generally wore jeans and jumpers or a jacket and a scarf. We did take thermals to wear under our jeans if necessary. It was super windy most days so would usual wear gloves and a beanie if we were walking around outside.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

Weather is highly variable, and brutally cold is possible, so you are correct to be prepared.

Layers are the key. The air pockets between layers have an insulating effect and the added benefit of flexibility. A winter scarf large enough to wrap around your face and neck is also essential for the coldest of days. Your outer coat or jacket should be substantial and roomy enough to allow layering underneath (i.e. not a tight jacket), but it need not be a huge parka.

Wearing tights or even hose under slacks or jeans makes a surprisingly substantial difference in keeping your legs and feet warm (layer warm socks over the tights)

People will still wear nicer outfits that are not all that warm when going out to nice restaurants at night (e.g skirt, pumps and hose), but don't plan on wearing that for long walks or during particularly frigid weather. Bring a variety. If you won't miss dressing up, nice slacks are fine as well.

Thick leather shoes with a non-smooth sole (to reduce impact of slippery spots on the sidewalks). I would not worry about trying to buy snow boots. Chances are you won't need them, and if there is a heavy snow storm in the forecast, you can pick up a cheap pair in the city at DSW shoe stores.

A layering wardrobe would be: Long sleeve shirts, T-shirts (or cami), light weight sweaters, a heavy weight sweater (preferably wool or fleece) that zips or buttons in the front (you want to be able to open it if you get overheated), a winter jacket or coat. Of course, scarf, hat, lined gloves.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

p_canberra was here last winter (2011/2012), which was exceptionally mild. The previous winter (2010/2011) was really cold...2 feet of snow fell the day after Christmas and it just kept snowing for the next 2 months. We had snow on the ground until March. So you just never know...

The layering tips you've been given are good. When it snows, I actually find rubber boots (wellies) to be the most practical thing to wear in Manhattan because every street corner quickly turns into a big ice puddle, sometimes shin-deep. These are bulky to pack; if you need them you can get them pretty cheaply here.

Fingers crossed that 2012/2013 will be another mild winter! :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

Many thanks for all your replies. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

Use silk thermals that may be bought on line or in ski shops, for starters. I always have several pairs of different sorts. They weight nothing, are very thing and extremely insulating. On bitingly cold days and there can be a few at that time of the year, I wear one on top of the other and they don't look like you are wearing a bear suit underneath.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

We were there feb 2011 and we are used to Scottish winters however NYC won hands down for the cold! one recommendation in addition to the layers are hand and feet Warner's a couple of dollars in Walgreens etc.

We will be spending Christmas and new year this year in NYC And they will be top of my list of purchases when we arrive

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

Sorry should say hand and feet Warmers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

Are you planning days where there you are both inside (museums/shops etc) and outside (walking as a means of commuting or visiting Rockerfeller Centre or Central Park or the Highline)?

If so, I suggest having a really really good coat that is (1) long - knee length and (2) waterproof that you can wear to deal with outside conditions.

I found wearing lots of layers got really frustrating going in and out of shops and museums - these places are well heated...you don't need to wear that much when you are inside. It's bad enough dealing with getting the coat, hat. gloves and scarf off and on....when you are inside lugging them around (or waiting in queues to 'cloak' them where you can) can be annoying - especially if you are SHOPPING!!! Having extra jumpers/tops makes it worse - if you put tights or stockings on under pants you will be very hot inside. That's my experience.

I am really lucky to have a friend who has lent me a beautiful puffy coat that I've worn for Christmas/New Year Period in New York (2008-2009), Madrid/London (2009-2010) and Paris/London (2010-2011)...it's much too hot to wear in Southern Australian cities in Winter and it is ...amazingly... very flattering...and I can wear it casual or dressed up....

If you want to get an idea of the weather conditions in NYC for the past few years at the time you are going this year.....try Weatherunderground

http://www.wunderground.com/

Enter location.

Scroll down to History and Almanac (left side of screen)

Choose a date (don't forget to change the Year field or it won't work!!)

Click on the weekly tab ....scroll down to the table that gives you lots of info (some useful, some not so useful!):

Temp. (°C) Dew Point (°C) Humidity (%) Sea Level Press. (hPa) Visibility (km) Wind (km/h) Precip. (mm) Events

To get information on the next weeks and the previous year/s, scroll up and use the arrows and the date field.

Have a great holiday (we're going back for Christmas-New Year and my 50th birthday this year and I can borrow the wonderful coat again!! Lucky me!!)

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dec/Jan in NYC - what to wear?

Which is why you can't beat the insulating capability of silk thermals. Thin, lightweight and adaptable. You can easily find them on the Internet and or in ski shops.