We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

We are a couple dreaming of getting away from it all over xmas and are not sure where to go. We usually hit Florida end of Feb for our winter holiday so looking for somewhere different, likely somewhere in the USA would be cheapest as far as flights go and thinking maybe NYC? We just want to do some shopping, eat at nice restaurants, maybe take in a show, etc. Wondering if that might be too crazy a tme? Or maybe should we be looking at somewhere in Arizona or somewhere else 'warm' ? Thanks to any and all feedback.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

Its always a crazy time in NYC. Hotels may be expensive. But if cost is relatively not a major issue you will not regret it.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

Thanks for the quick reply. We stayed in Queens I think the first time we were down years ago (over the water) as of course the hotels were cheaper there but found it a bit far out and didn't care for the subway that much (motion sickness) and the taxis added up... is there a specific area(s) that is closer to downtown, that would be not so crazy price-wise? you hear "soho" or "east side" etc etc but means nothing to someone who doesn't know the area.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

"Downtown" in New York City does not mean "the central business and shopping district", but instead means "the area of original settlement at the southern tip of the island of Manhattan, where Wall Street and the financial district are."

Is that really where you want to stay?

As for "SoHo", that means "south of Houston Street", and "east side" means the eastern half of the island of Manhattan, with the "Upper East Side" being the portion north of 59th Street, and the "Lower East Side" being the portion south of 14th Street. Where the area south of Houston Street is, and what can be found in the eastern half of Manhattan, can easily be determined by looking at a map.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

You should specify what you think is a reasonable spend and what specific dates you are looking to come ?

Basically you have a wide choice and no area is better. You will need to take the subway or the bus in many cases and they are much better now. It will not be a major problem. Look at Hotwire and Priceline and see what tickles your fancy. GOOGLE Maps will give you a street eye view.

Edited: 7:45 pm, August 22, 2012
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

In response to your original header its an excellent idea... NYC around Christmas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,037 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

Surprisingly, if you come to NYC FOR Xmas and a few days before and after (but not includng New Year's) hotel prices are great. Look at Dec 20-26 or similar? Obviouslyyou can't compare itbto a warm weather lcation, but NYC is gorgeous and it's less crowded right around Xmas. Beginning of Dec. is when it's crazy.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

I agree. NYC during the holidays is a great time to visit! Just bundle up. It's a busy time of year. I love holiday season in NYC. Try looking at hotels in Brooklyn. I stayed in downtown Brooklyn last year. Just a quick trip into Manhattan!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

thanks so far everyone, great feedback! and sorry for sounding vague, we really aren't famliar with the area.. when I meant downtown I guess i meant on the main island part I guess.. could be just a short trek to central park, empire state building, times square, etc, ..where would you recommend for good restaurants, take in a show, hockey game or something etc, touristy things? we don't need overly fancy, but we do like a king bed, internet and maybe a hot tub or jetted tub if possible, but we don't need chandeliers or doormen etc. We were thinking around the 22-28 but we are flexible on the dates. i guess we are trying to figure things out on here with your help :)

Edited: 8:14 pm, August 22, 2012
Delaware
Level Contributor
405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

I have gone many times in December. I find the crowds build through the month, with a crescendo the weekend before Christmas itself. The most crowded areas are around the Rockefeller Center tree...you can literally be caught in a crowd that does not move.

That being said, Christmas itself can be a cozy, romantic time for a couple. Go!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,037 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xmas in NYC or not a good idea?

Hot tubs in NYC are almost non existant and jetted tubs available but rare. Thebrest is easy. Budget per night?