We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with itinerary

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
606 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
help with itinerary

I posted last week with a rough itinerary and got some good suggestions. Someone posted about hopstop.com, what a great site! I've been all over that site trying to figure out directions and what order I should do things in. I'm having trouble with one day of my trip and thought I'd see if any of you could help me out once again.

On Saturday, May 5th, we want to leave our hotel and go directly to get the ferry to SOL and Ellis Island. I want to do this first thing, since I'm sure it will be crowded and will take several hours. After that we'd like to visit Ground Zero & Century 21, then go by South St. Seaport to check the TKTS booth. We also want to take a water taxi over to Brooklyn, eat at Grimaldi's, and walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan then take a subway back to the hotel at W. 50th & Broadway.

The problem is, when I try to put Brooklyn Bridge or Fulton Ferry in on hopstop.com, it says it doesn't recognize the address. Can somebody tell me what order we should do all the above, and what trains we should take as well as what station we take them from, or are all these areas close enough that we could walk from one to the other? Also, is this way too much for one day?considering the fact that we don't know how long SOL will take. Thank you all in advance!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
606 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with itinerary

I should also add that I put all these stops in on hopstop.com and got directions for both subway and walking, but there seemed to be a lot of walking involved, and I wondered if anyone could tell me more direct routes than what I saw on hopstop. Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with itinerary

Here's my tweak: go to Ground Zero -- AND St. Paul's Chapel too (a must-see in my book; the "exhibition" there on 9/11 and its aftermath is very well done/in good taste and will bring it all home to you in a way that the now-sterile pit cannot) -- first thing in the AM when it's far more serene than later in the day. If Century 21 is open by the time you leave St. Paul's, stop in on your walk to the SOL/Ellis Island boat; if it's not, it's really OK to have missed that imo ;-)

Then when you return from SOL/Statue of Liberty, you could walk to South Street Seaport or take the M15 bus up Water Street -- or the *free* Downtown Connection shuttle bus; note that it doesn't run as often as the MTA buses

http://www.downtownny.com/gettingaround

I consider these walks to be very do-able, but I'm also aware that many out-of-towners have a different idea of a manageable walk (shorter) than most New Yorkers :-)

When you come off the Brooklyn Bridge, your best subway choice (unless you want to transfer at Grand Central or walk from there)would be to take the N/R train from the City Hall station.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with itinerary

If there are any particular shows you want to see, I suggest buying them ahead of time; but if you're feeling more "whatever is fine", then you're a good candidated for TKTS. The South St. Seaport kiosk closes at 5 or 6 on Saturdays.

One advantage to that location is that you can buy Sunday matinee tickets there on Saturday which you can't do at the main Times Square booth. In fact, they never sell same-day matinee tix at South St. Seaport, only next-day ones.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: help with itinerary

To get to the ferry to the SOL, walk from your hotel a few steps to the 50 Street and Broadway subway stop. Take the number 1 train downtown to the South Ferry stop. Make sure you get on the first five cars of the train because they are the only ones that open at the South Ferry stop.

scotland
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with itinerary

If you are sticking to a precise itinerary, you might find a long queue outside Grimaldi's. We had this on our itinerary 2 weeks ago, and even arriving there at 3.00 there was a very long line - so we gave it a miss and ended up walking across the Brooklyn Bridge in a state of hunger!! A back up food plan would be a good idea.

When getting from Manhattan to Brooklyn, you might want to consider getting the subway over to Clark Street - there are some great old style apartments around the subway and it is minutes from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade with great views over the Manhattan (got this from another trip advisor and it was well worth it).

Have a great trip!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with itinerary

Remember that the big wait for the SOL/Ellis I. ferry is SECURITY. Make sure you do not have anything on your person (keys? big belt buckles?) that would delay you. Have your tickets in advance, and be ready to stand in line for the security screening long before the time of your boat.

Okay, directions:

From the corner of Broadway and 50th Street, take the DOWNTOWN (check sign on stairs before entering station) #1 train. Ride in the first five cars; South Ferry is an unusual old-fashioned station and the back of the train does not "platform" there. It is a local train and will make many stops, but since you are not familiar with the subway I shall not tell you about changing for the express at 42nd Street/changing back to the local at Chambers Street to save time.

When you get back from the ferry, walk through Battery Park to Bowling Green (the fenced park in front of the Customs House/Indian Museum. Broadway starts here; walk up Broadway to Liberty Street. Turn left on Liberty and walk one block -- the WTC site is across the street. Continue north on Church Street -- Century 21 is across from the WTC site on Church between Cortlandt and Dey. Contineu north on Church to Fulton (St. Paul's churchyard at corner), and turn right. I recommend stopping at St. Paul's, then continue all the way to the other end of Fulton Street for the South Street Seaport. The TKTS booth is one short block off of Fulton in the Seaport area at the corner of Front and John (you can buy Sunday matinee tickets on Saturday at this location.)

The water taxi does not run on weekends.

To get from that location to Grimaldi's, try these somewhat different directions:

Walk back up Fulton Street to the corner of William Street. Go into the subway there, and take the #2 or #3 train two stops to Calrk Street in Brooklyn. Go up the elevator and exit the station to Clark Street; turn right. Walk to the end of Clark Street and continue onto the Promenade. Turn right, and walk to the end of the Promenade. Follow the ramp up to Columbia Heights (that is the name of the street) and turn left. Walk past the playground -- you will see that the street continues down the hill steeply. Walk down that hill to the bottom -- that is Old Fulton Street, and Grimaldi's is to the right, just past Pete's Downtown.

(The other possibility is not as interesting -- go down two levels at Fulton and William and take the A to High Street.)

To get to the Bridge from Grimaldi's, walk up Old Fulton Street to Prospect Street (it will be teh street where the cars are turning left to go under the Bridge off ramp.) Turn left on Prospect to go under the bridge, and then make an immediate right onto Cadman Plaza East. The stairs to the walkway are in the wall of the stone structure right there.

Coral Springs FL
Level Contributor
741 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with itinerary

GWB...good call on describing the stone wall for entry to the walkway of the bridge. If Daughter had not said, "this is the way", I would have passed it by, as it looks like a hole in a wall!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
606 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with itinerary

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions & directions. Riding in the first five cars is something I would not have known. I love this forum!