We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info on Long Island NY

Alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need info on Long Island NY

Hi,How far is Long Island NY say from Manhattan NY or Brooklyn NY? Also say your coming from Canada would it be cheaper to fly to New Jersey or to like JFK Airport if I'd be in Long Island NY? Also can anyone give me a rough idea what the tempature would be around late 3rd week of Nov.? Also is it possible to get a couple sites for hotels in Long Island NY? Also if you know where the heck is The Paramount in Long Island NY? All for now. Help if you can. wb..bye

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

Long Island is a big place (long as the name suggests)- like 100 miles long so distance to other places obviously depends on where on LI you are. There's also a place called Long Island CITY that's part of NYC and very close to Manhattan. Have no idea where "the Paramount" is because you dont say WHAT it is (a hotel, movie theater, restaurants???)

If you're staying on Long Island, it's inconvenient to fly to New Jersey so what you might save in airfare (it,s not always cheaper to fly there but might be), you might use up in transport costs to/from the airport. But be warned that LI is not a place with good pubIic transportation so you may need to rent a car.

Any weather website like

Wunderground.com

Will have a trip planner that will show you historic temperatures for any place in the world.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

Long Island is very long - 120 miles long, in fact, It takes about three hours to get from one end of Long Island to the other. Long Island starts with dense suburbs just outside the Queens border, and ends with peaceful beach towns at Greenpoint and Montauk. So Long Island is a very large place with many diverse experiences.

JFK Airport and Islip Macarthur Airport are the two best airports for Long Island, Newark is not recommended because you would have to cross all of NYC to get to Long Island.

The Paramount is a music venue in the town of Huntington, approximately 40 miles east of Manhattan. If you are staying in that area of Long Island you will need to rent a car. If you are looking for nearby hotels go to kayak.com and look for hotels in Huntington, NY.

Huntington has a train station on the Port Jefferson Line which you could take a taxi to and from if you don't have a car. That way you could stay in Manhattan, and just take the train to and from Huntington. Huntington is approximately a 1 hour, 5 minute train ride from Penn Station in Manhattan. Trains on this line run all night long. Here is the full schedule.

mta.info/lirr/…PortJeffersonBranch.pdf

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

Kayak.com

Is one good hotel search engine but you really need to know what town on LI you want.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

And jhwanderer has given you that info. ;)

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

Also, keep in mind that the third week in November this year is Thanksgiving. Flights are going to be more money and hotels, and car rentals will be more expensive and harder to book on Long Island. If you are going to make this trip, you may want to book it sooner than later.

There would have to be significant savings--over a hundred dollars (or more) to make it worth it to fly into Newark. Look for flights into JFK, LGA, or ISP (Islip). And since it is a holiday week, NYC airports are going to be very crowded. ISP is a smaller Long Island airport, and while it will be crowded, it will be more manageable.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

Have you consulted a MAP - there are a plethora of towns and villages on Long Island - what is your motivation to stay there?

You have received some good information - how about some details on your plans.

Poppa

Alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

Hi,True. I forgot there is other villages/cities there as well. I wanna say but..am unsure because I only know Long Isand and the venue possibly going to The Paramount is in Hungington NY is a theater. A bad thing is I don't drive. Yes,I've heard Thanksgiving in the US in certain airports is crazy busy. Also someone said New Jersey wouldn't be smarter to fly into ok thanks than I will not look into that airport. I just looked yes its around that time darn it I may pass now will see. I don't think or airport that I would be using flys into LGA think it would be JFK. I've seen 2 BIG airports as well so I have a rough idea but..thanks for the heads up there. This is good enough thanks but..the more I read the less I'm as eager.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

If you don't drive, you simply can't stay in Huntington. The public transit isn't good enough there. You need to stay in NYC and take the Long Island Railroad to Huntington station, and then a taxi to and from the venue.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

jh - that may really confuse the OP...............I really don't think he/she has any concept of the area at all..........

long island, ny
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need info on Long Island NY

The paramount has a free shuttle from Huntington Station LIRR. You would just need to stay somewhere that has easy access to the Huntington Line of the Long Island Railroad. Just be warned that taxi's on LI are expensive. This trip is doable, but I don't think it will be "budget"...

this hotel states "free shuttle within 5 miles of the 110 corridor", but I don't know if that covers the train station...you could call and ask...

…hilton.com/en/…index.html