We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algonquin

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Algonquin

I've just put a topic on the forum about Quikbook. I'm just about to try and book the Algonquin through Quikbook as its much cheaper than the hotel rack rate. I have noticed on the hotel reviews that other visitors felt they had got second class service because they had booked through agency websites. Although we all want the best deal and I am prepared for some compromise I don't want our holiday spoiling. Should I go ahead and risk it or pay the rack rate, whats the thoughts on this please.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Algonquin

I have used Quikbook a lot. I have never had second class service, but I have had rooms that weren't the best in the hotel. If it's a good hotel, even the worst rooms should be tolerable. It will depend on the hotel, and how busy they are. If they are full, they won't probably put you in a nicer room than someone paying rack. That said, I have used quikbook (and priceline) and been upgraded to a "club" floor when the hotel wasn't busy. Be nice when you check in. It's amazing how far that goes in most any circumstance. The Algonquin is old, and has a variety of rooms. Another option is to pick a place that is new, or newly renovated which will have less variation in rooms.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Algonquin

Try to make sure you are making an apples to apples comparison.

If you are reserving a one queen bed room on quikbook make sure you compare that to the same type of room through the hotel.

Also, I would call the hotel just to see what their rates are over the phone, maybe they are offering a special...you never know.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Algonquin

Call the hotel direct. Tell them the rate you have found on the internet and ask them if they can meet your budget rate. Don't be shy. If your budget is $200, $300 or $400 a night, say so. You will get the most valuable help from the hotel directly. That said, you may have to telephone the general manager of sales to make this all happen. The hotel booking services generally quote rack rate and that's as far as the csutomer service goes.

sbj
UK
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Algonquin

Hi MyghtyRed,

Staying at the Algonquin as discussed before. The Queen Deluxe rooms that we talked about are OK but nothing special. The bed is very comfortable but the room itself isn't really as big as we are used to - admittedly we often book suites elsewhere - and I feel a bit overrun by cases. We have a view of the back of another very dirty building. The bathroom is also pretty small.

There is nothing "wrong" with the room as such and the public areas in the hotel are really nice, and no problem with the service, but it doesn't seem like a special occasion hotel if you book that room and I'd say there are better options out there for the money.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Algonquin

I would definitely ring them and tell them the price you have found and see will they match it-Ive done that a couple of times when travelling around the states and they have always matched the prices for me once you can email them proof of the cheaper price

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Algonquin

Agree with the advice you've gotten. Want to emphasis this is a LOVELY hotel but older than most. As such, the rooms are smallish and the bathrooms while "updated" are not plush. The location is fantastic (on the same block as the Sofitel) and the public spaces (lobby lounge, bars etc.) are terrific and service is great. But the rooms are not.