We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant for Mother/Daugther

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant for Mother/Daugther

My mom and I will be in New York the 1st of May. I would like to take my mom to some really special restaurants. Can someone recomend the "perfect mother/daughter restaurant. Money in not an issue. I do want atmoshpere and maybe views. Is the River Cafe too romantic??

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant for Mother/Daugther

I think the River Cafe is perfect. I don't think it's too romantic. What might be nice is a late lunch and then walk the Brooklyn bridge. Balthazar and/or Artisanal are 2 other good ideas (French brasseries) for either lunch or dinner. No views, just good food and "buzzy" atmosphere.

What sort of food do you like? Is it just the 1 day?

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant for Mother/Daugther

We will be there May 3rd-7th. I like seafood, and my mom is a vegetarian. We do like Italian too

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant for Mother/Daugther

Reports have been mixed about vegetarian options at River Cafe.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant for Mother/Daugther

There are dozens of FABULOUS veg/vegan/organic food restaurants in NYC!

If you want to give your mom a full-on veggie experience, go to Angelica Kitchen. It's not romantic or stylish, but there is nothing else like it.

http://www.angelicakitchen.com/

Counter is a more posh veggie place, with organic wines and martinis. Classy, but a little pricey for vegetables.

www.counternyc.com

Two other classier places are Josie's and Candle Cafe. (Info in link below.)

Pick up a free copy of "New York Naturally " (Or at any health food store you pass by. Looks like a paperback novel.

Check here:

www.vegetarianusa.com/city/NewYorkCity.html

Here's a whole list of veggie places and resources:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k258822-…

All the listings/reviews in the post are cut'n'pasted from

http://www.happycow.net/

and Google and Yahoo searches

London, UK
Level Contributor
285 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant for Mother/Daugther

Hi Ranchergirl,

I've just got back from a Mother/Daughter week with my mum in NYC.

For Mother's Day (in the UK it's on a different day to the US!) I took her to the Mandarin Oriental for afternoon tea thinking it would be a lovely treat - but I was thoroughly disappointed! Typically, my mum much preferred the diner round the corner from our hotel that cost 1/10 of the price!

Our dining highlight though was the Bateaux cruise. Admittedly we were the only "non-romantic" couple there, but we didn't let it bother us! It's a great way to see Manhattan at night, fab views and great food. I'm vegetarian and I just called a couple of days ahead and arranged my meal. (As already mentioned here - I avoided the River Cafe only because I hadn't heard great things about their vegetarian options - and as a vegetarian with an allergy to tomatoes I'm really difficult to please!).

The Bateaux was really, really worth it - definitely a trip highlight!

Hope you and your mom have a great trip!

Sx

PS - if you do take the cruise one tip is to take a wrap or a cardigan - our only complaint was that it was a bit chilly!!!