We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK layover with terminal change

PA
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
JFK layover with terminal change

I need to fly from PIT to JFK on Delta and then connect to Air Lingus to Shannon. I prefer for PIT to JFK be nonstop. I will need to change from terminal 3 to terminal 4. I am buying the domestic and the travel group is buying the international. Because I've had several 2 hour delays here is my question. I can take a flight that will give me 2 hrs 20 min or a flight with 10hours 40 mins. What should I do? I'm not familiar with the airport or how to get form T3-4 or how long it will take.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
550 Reviews
from $34.00*
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK layover with terminal change

You will take the AirTrain from T3 to T4. There are signs everywhere so you can't miss it. The AirTrain is free between terminals.

Once you have any luggage, etc, it'll probably take about 20 minutes to walk from the terminal to the AirTrain, catch the AirTrain and then get to T4 check in.

However, if you do have luggage for your first flight, that will take time to collect. You will also need to go through customs, etc, at JFK in order to board your international flight.

I think you've answered your own question: You've had several delays in the past, why risk it again? Book a 10 hour stopover. It'll be much better in the long run, and you'll be much calmer.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,540 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK layover with terminal change

I agree with the above. With two totally independent tickets if your first flight is delayed and you miss the second--you are owed nothing from either airline. I know a 10 hour layover is alot--and if you land on time you possibly visit someplace in Queens for a short while. BTW is there any flight from PIT that gets into LGA leaving a 5-6 hour gap. That would give you time to take a taxi from one airport to the other, deal with a slight delay and still make your flight.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
261 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK layover with terminal change

I would not chance a 2 hr change window. Too much can go wrong. You can find all sorts of other answers on this board and elsewhere about storing your luggage at JFK and taking the train into Manhattan or out to Long Beach, Long Island and enjoying yourself for 3-4 hours, then getting back to the airport in plenty of time.

4. Re: JFK layover with terminal change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 07, 2013