We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY to DC and back

California, USA
8 posts
Save Topic
NY to DC and back

Hello

We are on a 2week trip to East Coast in August and I am flying into LaGuardia and back from there as well. Right now I am thinking that we do not rent a car while we are in NYC but we need to figure out how to haul a family of 4 (we have two boys 10 and 6 so its easy to manage buses/trains etc) from NY to DC and back. Amtrak seems pretty expensive. Any good bus rentals ? I'd probably need to rent a car when I am in DC but atleast we can avoid the driving in NY. So another option is just to rent a car from NY to DC and back.

Thanks

Photobuddy

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
550 Reviews
from $34.00*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NY to DC and back

The cheapest you will find on Amtrak is $98 round trip (they occassionally have cheaper on specials, but not often).

Bolt Bus, Megabus, DC2NY, Washington Deluxe are bus options. I don't think you have to rent an entire bus for just 4.

You absolutely do not have to rent a car in DC. I don't know where you would get that idea.

Edited: 5:36 pm, July 02, 2012
California, USA
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NY to DC and back

Thanks for your response. I wasnt sure if getting around popular spots in DC will be easy with public transportation. But I havent done any research yet. Looks like I need to :)

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY to DC and back

The train is nicer because you can get up and move around, and it's not affected by traffic. It's a judgement call about whether the cost savings is worth it to you.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY to DC and back

A car is not necessary in DC--- many of the sites are built around the Washington Mall and those that are not are accessible on a tour bus of which there are many routes. It is not public transportation but the best way to see the majority of the sites--- public transportation in DC is much more limited than in New York. The question is how many nights are you going to stay in DC--- I would suggest at least one if you can get the crew up and going early the first morning and then staying out late before the trip back late the second night.

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NY to DC and back

I've done the drive many times from DC to NYC as well as Amtrak and I would suggest you take the train, it will take you right into downtown DC (union station) and you can easily cab to your hotel. Plus by the time you pay for a rental, pay tolls both ways (they aren't cheap), gas, and parking in DC (which is expensive) it doesn't make sense to drive. And the traffic on both ends and in-between isn't fun. I haven't done the bus though, so can't offer any info for that option.

6. Re: NY to DC and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 04, 2013