We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic Getaway Ideas

Save Topic
Romantic Getaway Ideas

My boyfriend and I have been discussing taking a trip somewhere to celebrate and cherish one another (he is in the Navy so for long periods of time we arent together). After contemplating many places where we are interested in going we finally agreed upon New York City.

Now the only thing is - what are we gonna do? We will arrive on a Wednesday and leave on Sunday (at least that's what we are thinking).

He is 26 and I am 20 (so please do not suggest anything for a 21+ crowd).

Thank you. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

If your purpose is "romantic" that is certainly not the same as a tourist site visit. would suggest things like walks in Central Park, esp. around lake, romantic restaurants, rooftop bars (before the crowds arrive), walk along Hudson River (the northern Hudson Park - from 57th to 72 is nice), perhaps the hi-line (early in day, before crowds), a night-time Staten Island Ferry ride, etc.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

"Now the only thing is - what are we gonna do? We will arrive on a Wednesday and leave on Sunday (at least that's what we are thinking)."

Yesterday temperature was 110 degrees. Not a temperature that is romantic and not a fun temperature to be out and about douring the day. Since this is a last minute trip, skip New York City and find a nice place with a beach. The last time I check beaches are romantic.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

Yes, I was going to aak what time of year you're planning this. I definitely think NYC is romantic but it can be rather hot and humid in the summer. What kind of hotel budget do you have? Your hotel choice will be important.

Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

Oh I probably should have mentioned this trip will take place in October!

What does NY weather typically look like in October?

We are from San Diego so we wanted to avoid somewhere summery and hot since we get that year round.

Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

I think we have already decided on Doubletree Hilton hotel on Lexington Avenue. :)

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

October is a very nice time to visit

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

Fall weather can be quite nice as it gets cooler by the day after a long hot summer in the city. To some a place for romance can be a park bench in Central Park eating a hot dog---to others it has to be a 5 star restaurant-- I think you will find more romantic things as you go along but they are in the eyes of the beholder and no one here can tell you if you will find them romantic. For instance if you want to fall Bill from NYC's advice and hit a beach you might find it more romantic in October when it will be essentially empty than in July when you have to step over people and listen to loud blaring music not of your choosing.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,771 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

Take a scenic cruise up the Hudson River. Depending on your timing, you may see some beautiful fall colors. Or if he's had enough of boats, and fall foliage is peaking, take a scenic Train up the Hudson to of the pretty villages.

Romance really depends on what you two like to do and what common interests you share. Going to an art museum, a concert or the opera can be very romantic. So can spending hours in a used bookstore, going to a ballgame, finding the perfect little neighborhood restaurant, sharing a perfect pizza (or going on an endless quest to find one!), a hot dog at Coney Island, discovering an amazingly good street performer who plays your favorite song, a picnic in Central Park, staying out all night until the sun rises just because you can.

Central Jersey
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

Have stayed at DoubleTree times square... very nice and of course close to everything (touristy)

10. Re: Romantic Getaway Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 12, 2013