We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Opening Ceremony

County Durham
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic Opening Ceremony

Can anyone recommend a good bar to watch the Olympics opening ceremony in please? If possible I'd like to go somewhere where they'll be marking the occasion as opposed to just having it on in the back ground.

We're not too particular about location, but for info we're staying in the New Yorker. It will be me and my husband to be going and we're in our late 20's (we're going to New York for our honeymoon -first trip to USA!!!).

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Wow this is tough one--- marking the occasion--- I doubt it--- on in the background maybe but I honestly think most people here won't care I know it is in the UK and all but it is pretty boring tv don't you think ? It will be on a major broadcast channel-- just hope there is no baseball game on at the time or you will be out of luck---

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

If you don't need to be drinking, you can probably watch it outside in Times Square on the big screens.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

bilmin - You honestly think that an International Event that will be on at 4pm ET will get ignored, because the Cardinals are playing the Cubs?

Don't worry though. It'll all be over by 7pm so you can see the Yankees beat the Red Sox again. ;)

Lucy - If you want to be somewhere, where they'll be marking the occasion, then London is the place to be. ;)

M

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Your hotel may have access to a TV channel that airs the Ceremony. That could be a last resort if you don't find anything more suitable.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,972 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Sponsors are making a big deal about the Olympics in NYC -- there will be places....tune in closer to the time for more info!

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

The OLYMPICS ae being covered by NBC - any hotel TV will be able to receive this network (Channel 4 in NYC).

Check the NBC website for times - they usually try to do these tings in Prime Time 8 - 11 PM (2000-2300hrs)

It is a major event here in the States - you will have ample opportunity to see the opening.

Poppa

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Mark-- the reference to baseball was a joke son--- when will the British develop a sense of humor ?

Besides which if some 20 year old on her honeymoon is worried about watching the Olympics times sure have changed since my day.

Edited: 9:24 am, June 17, 2012
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Bil - but you missed my joke about the godawful season that the Sox are having. Or did that hurt a bit too much to actually notice ;)

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

M4Rkm - touche

Go Yankees!

County Durham
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony

Thank you for the suggestions of where to watch it.

I like the idea of seeing it in Times Square, thanks Nywhiz. I'll also check out the NBC listings too. Thank you.