We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! We arrive this weekend!

Chicago, IL
12 posts
Save Topic
Help! We arrive this weekend!

We arrive in NYC this Saturday for only the weekend. We've done most of the normal tourist things on an earlier trip - this one is a shopping trip for my daughters 21st b-day. We are staying at the St. Regis ( hope it's a good choice?!) We're planning on shopping Fifth Ave on Sat and SOHO and Greenwich on Sun.(have any idea of general store hours?) Would love suggestions for a good NY deli for lunch on Sat and dinner (moderate, w/ no jacket required for husband - American, Chinese or Mexican). We're thinking of going to ESB at night and possibly trying TKTS for Sat PM or Sun PM show. Someone told my daughter the name of 3 dance clubs - Coral Room, Level V and Spirit, but will my husband and I stick out like a sore thumb (we're 50), or are they strickly for 20-30yr? Also, suggestions for SOHO/Village breakfast and later a place for awesome NY pizza. We're from Chicago and our pizza's pretty darn good, but I've been told that NY's is better so we're out for the taste test! Thanks in advance for your help!

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! We arrive this weekend!

Wow. well you know what you want, just where to get it now. I work in nyc. funny cause i'm heading to san fran next weekend and was looking at san fran forum. I just took a look here for some kicks.

let me see:

St Regis is amazing. One of the best restaurants in the city. If you husband likes baseball, take him for lunch to mickey mantles on central park south. casual. great baseball memorabilia.

saturday stores are open until 5pm through 9pm. all vary. sunday close around 5pm. great nyc delis are everywhere. must get corned beef or pastrami. If you want an amazing chines dining experience that is extremely hip and in with the young and older generations (which your daughter will love). go to Tao on 58th street. ain't cheap. but it is a popular, large, loud, trendy asian fusion restaurant. their is a 20 foot budda on one side of the restaurant. the restaurant is 2 levels. the happy hours are very "in" for all ages.

other great asians are Ollie's in times square on 44th (very casual) and china grill which is expensive too. but the best of all chinese food is in chinatown.

Clubs don't get kicking until around 10pm. if you want to go to a cool area that will be fine for all of you. go to 3rd ave between 31st and 39th street. there are some fun after work bars where yuppie and older go for a good time. rock and roll of 70s would be joshua tree in this area. but go to the mercury lounge for a drink and I promise your daughter will be happy and you won't feel out of place. right near each other.

great pizza is everywhere. c'mon. we all know nyc has the best. hard to say which is the best of best. but for authentic nyc pizza. again, you can go to 44th to john's pizza which is right near ollies and also near carmines.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! We arrive this weekend!

Did you know that you're assigned your own butler when you check into the St. Regis? Pretty fabulous! Their King Cole Bar is great -- if you're a Maxfield Parrish fan, his original mural adorns the wall there. But the highly recommended breakfast place Norma's is nearby, at Le Parker Meridien, on W. 57th Street. They serve breakfast until 3 p.m. You can find their menu online.

Great deli is nearby too. My favorite is the Carnegie on 7th Ave. at 55th St. Yes, it's touristy and they've got cramped communal tables and you want to avoid the rest rooms at all costs! But their pastrami is absolutely TDF! So's their cheesecake.

Among the many nearby restaurants, I like the fun Italian, Trattoria dell'Arte, on 7th Ave. between 56th-57th Streets. Wonderful fried artichokes. Next door (same owners) is a terrific mid-priced seafooder, Redeye Grill. I also like Beacon, on W. 56th St., for grilled seafood.

New York isn't known for its Mexican restaurants, but I think Rocking Horse in Chelsea is pretty terrific. And there's a nearby place, Bright Food Shop, that looks like a coffee shop, but serves pretty fabulous Asian-Mexican cuisine. An interesting combo!

I'm sure you'll hit the big dept. stores on 5th Ave. -- Saks, Henri Bendel's, Bergdorf's. Don't forget Lord & Taylor, at 39th Street. And of course Barney's, on Madison at 61st. In fact, it's worthwhile to stroll up Madison Ave. all the way to 96th Street for great boutique and designer shops.