We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
206 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

I have travelled Greyhound from NYC to Cleveland in 2008. I'd like to book again, as most of the time when flying in on an International flight, I'm stuck at the airport and can't get home. I went to book my flight for September and saw that there are several NYC choices, but am not sure which to try. I used Port Authority but the escalatore weren't working and I had a 27" and 30" suitcase with me and had to haul each one down the stairs, separately. There were plenty of scrupulous characters in front also. One guy (with a couple of others) rubbed his hands together and said aloud, "now who can I snatch?" Of course, I was tired and angry that the cabbie wouldn't help me in with my bags, so I guess I looked a bit, "don't !@#$%^&* with me." But if there are any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I just always like to have a back up plan to get home.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

What are you asking? Backup to what, Greyhound? Have you looked to see if

megabus.com

boltbus.com

do that route?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

I don't know what you are asking. If you have flown into NYC, doesn't it make the most sense to catch a connecting flight back to Cleveland? It's not that likely that September flights would be affected too much by weather, unlike a flight in the middle of winter when snow or storms may hold you up.

Also, 'scrupulous' means someone who has morals - someone who doesn't want to do wrong. So not sure that you've picked the right word there. :)

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

You could always take Amtrak, although the one train for your route gets into Cleveland in the middle of the night.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

NYwhiz, back up to my missed conection to Cleveland from JFK from my always late arrival from my international trip into JFK. Thje flights never leave JFK coming into Cleveland on time and I purchase a Greyhound ticket as a back up to make sure I'm not sitting in JFK for 20 hour sor more.

Kateoz, in 2010 my flight from JFK to Cleveland was delayed 20 hours because of rain. Perhaps I should have typed unscrupulous.

AudenHoggart, the Greyhound gets into Cleveland at 7 or so the next day. I just want to get out of New York.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

Port Authority is the only real Greyhound bus stop in NYC.

Your only real alternative is Amtrak. The other bus companies don't serve Cleveland from NYC.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

Assuming you'd be taking coach, Amtrak tickets are fully refundable if you haven't actually printed them out at the station. You buy them online, but indicate that you'll pick them up at the station. If you end up not using the ticket you can cancel for a full refund anytime up to train departure time.

Bring your printout with you so you can scan it at Quik Trak machines and get your ticket without waiting on line.

You can take the AirTrain/Long Island Rail Road combination right into Penn Station, which is where you'd get Amtrak.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

Where are you traveling to / from?

Wouldn't it make sense to try to avoid JFK altogether? Coming into JFK and then trying to get into Manhattan from JFK with your luggage only to get on a bus seems silly.

What about looking into Detroit, Chicago O'Hare or Washington Dulles as your international gateway.

Your flight didn't get delayed 20 hours just because of rain - it got delayed because it was a low priority in an otherwise over-capacity airport. When Air Traffic Control delays limit the number of takeoffs and landings, the JFK - London Heathrow flights do not get impacted, the little planes to places where there aren't that many people flying get impacted. This is why JFK - Cleveland is often one of the most delayed flights in the U.S. Little plane - rarely full, low priority.

Say you're flying from Paris, maybe you can fly Paris - Washington Dulles - Cleveland or Paris - Detroit - Cleveland or Paris - Chicago O'Hare - Cleveland. The trick is simply to try to avoid JFK (and especially the little plane on the JFK - Cleveland route)

Unless of course using New York saves you many hundreds of dollars.

Greyhound and Port Authority are not generally associated with luxury travel.

massillon, oh
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

Would it be possible to use Airtran and the Canton/Akron airport? You then will fly in and out of LaGuardia. I have used it at least 10 times in the past 6 yrs and only had 1 flight delay... for 2 hrs. Can't beat it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

The idea that you would rather get on a bus to Cleveland instead of staying overnight and flying out the next day is not something I can fathom. There are also floghts from LGA thta iis very close to JFK.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greyhound Travel from NY to Cleveland

taking a bus from NYC to Cleveland would be more stressful to me than sleeping on the airport floor--- if you buy it in advance is it refundable ? I have no idea why you would buy it in advance--- I can't imagine that bus tickets to Cleveland are very high in demand.