We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

OK NY oldtimers: Let's eat at Patricia Murphy's!

or Luchows?

or Lundy's?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,292 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
555 Reviews
from $34.00*
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
41. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

I loved the egg creams at Daves....the best....

and Stucky's on the road.....ah memory lane here...

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
919 posts
119 reviews
42. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Sad news for the Stage Deli, it closed yesterday.

…nytimes.com/2012/…

Edited: 6:28 pm, November 30, 2012
43. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:21 am, December 01, 2012
Edited: 12:21 am, December 01, 2012
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
44. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Larilu mentioned Nedick's --famous for its orange drink, and its mascot with a head made of an orange:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedick's

--in the subway stations. I certainly remember those, as well as the classic put down of someone whom you regarded as cheap: "Where are you taking your girlfriend for dinner? The Orange Room at Nedick's?"

Hilton Head Is.,SC
1 post
45. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Chock Full of Nuts donuts were whole wheat and super good -- still look for something similar. My usual lunch in the shop on Madison Ave. near 49th Street in the 1960s would be a "frank and an orange." Or - on Fridays - a cream cheese sandwich on date nut bread. Lunch perhaps was in the 50 cents range.

By the way, my husband and I had our wedding reception at Patricia Murphy's in Westchester in June 1957. Everything was perfect -- ambiance, food, staff, etc. Those were the days!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
46. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

OMG -- Patricia Murphy's! WOW == what memories! Had my confirmation dinner there, and for many, many years, my parents celebrated their wedding anniversary there with a family dinner. I remember feeling soooo grown up when the Shirley Temple's arrived....and dinner there wasn't complete without their renowned Popovers!

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
47. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

What about Luna's -- where the veal parm fell over the sides of the massive plates!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
75 reviews
48. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Not quite in the same vein, but we miss La Goulue on Madison Ave. a favourite for visiting Vancouverites.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
49. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

One of my first busines trips to the city I remember looking for a "reasonable place" (I am talking 1970) so as to not run the bill up on my boss and finding a familiar name "Howard Johnson's" in the Sheraton Manhattan... Imagine my shock when the bill came and it was twice as much as the allowance I had been given. Even in those days you always had to add in the "New York City" factor.......why o why o did I ever leave Ohio (Boston really)

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
2 reviews
50. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Patricia Murphy's, Grew up there. the one in Fort Lauderdale. Then The Cascades, in Deerfield Beach. I was named after her.Would Love to get in touch with someone from the era... And the perfume...... I wish I had it now.