We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

OK NY oldtimers: Let's eat at Patricia Murphy's!

or Luchows?

or Lundy's?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

My parents had their wedding reception at Patricia Murphy's in Manhasset. We would go there for their anniversary every spring; I remember they had gardens full of tulips. About twenty years ago I took my father to Lauraine Murphy's (Lauraine being Patricia's sister) in Great Neck; the menu had not changed in fifty years,a nd it was a real antique even then.

Hawaii Kai is where everyone would go after their high school prom -- drinking age in those days being 18.

How about Stouffer's at 666 Fifth Avenue, with Top of the Sixes upstairs in the same building?

For those of us from northeastern Queens, once upon a time the idea of Chinese food in Flushing meant Lum's. if you were from anywhere in Queens, ice cream = Jahn's.

And alas, another one to add to the list of vanished classics is Gage and Tollner in Brooklyn.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Hawaii Kai Pu Pu Platter

Mama Leone's

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
444 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

contracted a fatal disease.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,383 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

When I was little my Grandpa would take me to lunch at the Automat. He worked near the Chrysler Building. That was a lot of fun.

Grandpa also was in China during the War and so weekends sometimes meant an adventure to HSF for Dim Sum, which was walking distance from where we lived in SoHo.

Amazingly I'm too young for most of these other references, and MARK MY WORDS I AM NOT YOUNG.

But how about the places we went to as kids where we can still go? I have such childhood memories of being taken by my dad to Kenn's and Fanelli's, which are still standing.

Furthermore GWB, you will be very happy to know that for many children in my neighborhood (including my own) an after-school treat STILL means ice cream at Jahn's!

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

What about Zum Zum in what use to be Bankers Trust Bank downtown....

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Gage and Tolners is where I had my night before wedding dinner...loved it...

Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

Sign of the Dove.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

My parents always took me to Adam's Rib when we visited NYC in the 70's.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

GreenWhiteBlu, We use to go to Lorraine Murphy's in B'kly Heights and I remember their popovers. Where they the same people that ran PM & LM on LI? Does anyone remember Maxwell's Plum? lol. It's fun to remember.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Patricia Murphy's Restaurant?

I have a friend who used to be a hostess at Top of the Sixes when she was in college. She took me there when we went to NYC together. We also went to the only Automat left ... Where was that?

We also stayed at the now closed Wyndham Hotel on 5th (near Trump Tower ? if I recall correctly). Old fashioned, had an elevator attendant. Saw many theater actors there, Roddy McDowall, Hume Cronin, many more. Met Vic Damone in the lobby who had just finished performing at the now closed Rainbow Room. All these places gone.