We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How soon to book hotel rooms

North of UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How soon to book hotel rooms

When should we make a reservation with a hotel? We are in New York July 16 to 21st and I wondered how close we could leave it before booking. Expedia and the like seem to offer better value nearer the time but with it being summer should we be book early rather than later.

Thanks in anticipation

NYT

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from $83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from $36.00*
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

I went to New York City twice last year. The first time, in May, I booked only 3 weeks before we went, and the second time, in September, I booked 3 months in advance. Of course, I had less choice of hotels when I booked only 3 weeks before, but I found a nice one and it worked out fine. My sister found a room just one week before she went to the city for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. So, I guess you can book anytime, but to get what you want it may be better to book further ahead.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

A lot depends on how many people are in your traveling party and how many beds you want.

I booked for late march early april with 2 double bed some months ago.

Those rooms are now no longer available with both hotels.

So if you want a certain room type, you need to book pretty much a couple of months in advance, if the room type and number of bed is not that important you can wait it ou.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

Can you make the reservation now, and then check again as it gets closer. Most hotels have a 48- or 72-hour cancellation policy. If you find a better rate, just cancel the first reservation.

Dorstone, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

Good post Bettina. I was going to suggest that as well. I booked my room a week before I left but that was in February, so it's not exactly the busiest time of the year!

It might be an idea to sign up for email alerts and special offers from the hotels you are interested in as well.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

I book 9 - 12 months in advance for best rates, calling the hotel and negotiating direct. I hold with a credit card and then check out other options as my travel time get's closer. If I find something nicer available at a better rate, I cancel the earlier reservation and take the new option. This approach relieves me of the wear and tear on my hyperactive travel worry system that is always concerned about "where will I sleep"?

Boston, MA
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

I have found that you get a better price the longer that you can wait to book, but as others here have said, it does depend on your flexibility about the accomodations. July 16 timeframe is typically easier to get rooms in NYC because it is not a great time of year for tourists. I got a beautiful 4-star room in NY 2 summers ago at the last minute for $89/night from Hotwire.com, but I was traveling alone and the room type did not matter. Am currently waiting out the prices for a trip in the next two weeks, and am noticing they fluctuate by as much as $50-$70 per hotel on a daily basis.

Best of luck with your planning.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

In my experience you get the best rates the longer in advance you book.

Booked a room in San Diego 8 months in advance for 59 dollars, checked every now and then for other rates and the rate kept going up all the way to close to 200 dollars for the same room.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
376 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

What are rates like at the end of Oct to 2nd November?

North of UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How soon to book hotel rooms

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at various hotels for about a month now. I like to be secure in knowing that we have a firm booking and last year booked all the hotels we used direct with the hotel on the 'internet' with out a hitch.

My next question is ' The New York Palace' has been recommended and certainly looks very nice. We don't usually spend a lot of time in our hotel room though so should we save the money for other treats and go for a little less luxurious hotel? We stayed at the Bellagio last July for our last few days and as it was very hot during the day we did spend more time in the room so beautiful surroundings were worth having. Are we going to find the heat will cut down time sightseeing? We are veterans of 2 holidays in Florida, California, Arizona, and Nevada in July (due to our jobs, both lecturers) so can stand some heat. Will be in New York 16-23 July.