We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

ontario canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Topic
upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

Hi all,

We will be arriving on Saturday morning and departing late wednesday evening. The weather network is calling for RAIN, RAIN, and some more RAIN. The entire time we are there.

What are the chances that will happen?

I know here at home its never correct hoping for the same there.

See NYC tomorrow morning!!!!_!_

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

Unfortunately, the ability to forecast with 100% accuracy has evaded meteorologists worldwide to this day. The closer you get to the date in question, the more accurate the forecast is; hence, you probably are looking at five straight days of rain, but there's always a chance that the forecast is wrong.

In summary: we have no idea.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

Regardless, don't let the rain stop you!!

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

There is genuinely no way to know. Have a plan A and a plan B.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,944 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

Sadly, it has been accurate this week - lots of rain, fog, etc.

But - I never rely on it completely. Have an umbrella and definitely two pair of shoes as when it has rained this week, it has been heavy and you would get soaked.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

Thx,

Ive got lots of shoes,socks 2 umbrellas and coat packed. Didnt really plan too many inside days but we will enjoy our time no mattet what! we r in NYC! How couldnt you?

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

Most of the downpours tend to be later in the afternoon, so plan outdoor activities earlier in the day.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

If you forget an umbrella, vendors will seem to pop out of manholes as soon as the first drops hit the ground. They look pretty cheaply made for the price you probably have to pay, but not being rained on is priceless.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

When I travel, I always check Accuweather.com before I leave, and daily, while I'm in a particular location. I usually look at the HOURLY forecast for the next 2-3 days and try to arrange indoor vs outdoor activities according to what it says. This approach works best if you are staying in one location for a few days and can maintain a fairly flexible schedule.

The problem with looking at just the daily, long- range forecast in the paper, or on news broadcasts, is that when they mention rain it often means at a certain time during that calendar day but the rest of the time it may be cloudy, even with sunny breaks, but no rain. This approach has worked very well for us for the last few years.

Edited: 1:48 pm, May 25, 2012
Abita Springs,LA
Level Contributor
30 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

Our last trip there was very rainy! We bought rubber boots b/c it's no fun to have wet shoes. We still enjoyed our trip. I hope you do too.

10. Re: upcoming weather? how accurate is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:40 am, June 21, 2013