We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

subway ticket

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
subway ticket

hi, some very helpful advice on this forum, thanks to you all, require some advice on the best subway ticket(s) to purchase, will be there for 5 days in Nov, with wife and daughter, staying on west 81st, will be doing as much walking as we can, but would like to go to pier 6( helicopter) and the ferries to liberty and ellis islands, bit too far to walk me thinks! also would likehave the experience of going on the subway, can't really go to NY and not go on the subway! many thanks

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: subway ticket

Each subway or bus ride costs $2, no matter how far you ride. For every $10 you put on a MetroCard (the automated ticket for the subway and bus), you get one ride free or 6 rides. Buy two $10 MetroCards and keep adding and keeping adding $10 increments as you need them. You can buy, or add to, MetroCards from a live person at each subway station (who only take cash) or in machines that take cash, credit and debit cards. You can also buy weekly MetroCards but they probably would not pay for you.

Rochester , Mn
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: subway ticket

We [ 5 of us] were in NYC last July and we each bought the 7day card even though we were only there 5 1/2 days. It was so nice to just jump on and off subways and busses as we needed. We got a lot of use out of ours. At that time they were about $24. Have fun.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: subway ticket

My wife and I were in NYC for 5 full days and got a $24, 7-day, unlimited ride card for each of us. We paid for the card in three days.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: subway ticket

Thanks everyone, very helpful.