We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

subway stations on google maps

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
subway stations on google maps

so i have been using google maps to peg out my train routes. in some cases, it will say something like "get off train 4 at 42nd/grand central station, walk .2 miles to 42nd/grand central station get on train 7.

i would just like some clarity here.

there are not several stations titled 42/grand central (or times square or wall st. for example) are there? i'm assuming its just letting me know i cannot literally stand where i got off and expect that to be the perfect spot to catch the next train, right?

or if there are several stations with the same name how the heck would i know the difference?

no doubt, this is a stupid question but at least if its answered now, i won't be standing at the bottom of the staircase, blocking all the traffic, wondering where to go next lol

thanks a lot!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: subway stations on google maps

There are lots of 23rd Street stations but there is only one Grand Central.

A number of trains run parallel to each other so there is a 23rd Street station on the Lexington Avenue line that is almost a mile from say the 23rd Street station on the 8th Avenue line.

Anytime google maps says what it is saying to you, it generally means you're staying within the system.

Connections are extremely well-marked. If you're connecting from the 4 train to the 7 train at Grand Central, you'll follow the extremely well-marked signage in the station.

Don't start worrying about these details. Also, google tries to be precise when it says the 4 train will stop at Wall Street at 12:18PM. The 4 train may be a few minutes late and a 5 train may come first. You just need to know the general information such as 4 or 5 train from Wall St. to Grand Central and then the 7 train to say Vernon / Jackson (for Gantry Park and the beautiful views of Manhattan). Don't worry about the exact times.

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: subway stations on google maps

thanks so much!

btw, i have not reached that brand new level of neurotic to check times lol. just want to use vacation time for better things than what train do i take :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: subway stations on google maps

I moved to NYC a year ago and have found Google Maps to be really helpful in trying to navigate public transportation in NYC. I would offer caveat though as Google Maps does factor in the times of the trains and buses which means that the first suggestion is not always the best. ; ) I would recommend combining Google Maps with a good subway map and a good bus metro map.

Pam

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: subway stations on google maps

Thank you pam!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: subway stations on google maps

You can, in fact, have more than one station connected to other stations in the same multi-station complex. Sometimes, all the connected stations have the same name, and sometimes they don't -- but the fact is that they truly are separate stations, even if they are connected.

Grand Central is one example: there are three separate stations in the Grand Central subway complex. One is the Grand Central station of the 4/5/6 trains, one is the Grand Central station of the #7, and one is the Grand Central station of the S shuttle. At Canal Street, there are four separate, but connected, stations: Canal Street on the R,. Canal Street on the J, Canal Street on the 6, and running underneath all of them, Canal Street on the N. While most riders would consider all 4 the same station, both the Transit Authority and police assigned to Transit Bureau District 2 consider the 4 as separate posts, and crimes that occur in one or the other are recorded separately. In the same way, Borough Hall on the 2/3, Borough Hall on the 4/5, and Court Street on the R are considered as 3 stations, with two names,in one united complex; the same is found at Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Street, which is 3 stations, with two names, in one unified comples.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: subway stations on google maps

I still prefer using a paper map & my brain, to find my way about, rather than relying on a machine to tell me

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: subway stations on google maps

That gives good claritry GWB.

new castle, I'm with you there. I think that's the problem. I'm not transitioning well from paper to machine. But then again, its hard to pick up a nyc subway make in Milwaukee. So we make due, right?

thanks to you both.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: subway stations on google maps

But you can get a subway map online, very easily. The MTA site has one

The places to catch the trains you need are, indeed, very well marked,just follow the signs, but you'll drive yourself crazy if you start expecting them to adhere to a strict timetable, even though one exists.

Get to the right platform (ask for help if you need it) and wait for the next train..it won't be very long. I think the MOST I have ever waited was maybe 20 minutes.

Relax and don't worry about wasting time. It's ALL an experience, even waiting for the train..:)

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: subway stations on google maps

I just used the subway map in my Rough Guide guide book. Its all I needed to navigate around the city.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: subway stations on google maps

Just FYI, Google Maps does list stations on the map with the letter 'M,' but does NOT list every entrance and exit for each station. For example, you can enter the W 96th Street 1/2/3 station at any of the following points: (1) in the center of Broadway at 96th Street, (2) in the center of Broadway at 95th Street, (3) from the sidewalk on the east side of Broadway between 94th and 93rd Streets, and (4) from the sidewalk on the west side of Broadway between 94th and 93rd Streets. However, according the Google Maps, the 'M' for locating the station is south of 95th Street in the median - where there is no actual entrance into the system.

For the more complex stations (such as the ones listed by GWB above), there can be many different entrances spread out over many blocks.

Also be aware that at some stations, the uptown and downtown platforms are not connected to each other and require a separate fare (if you don't have an unlimited Metrocard).