We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You have scared me now!!

Durham
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
You have scared me now!!

I have just been reading the post below regarding cleanliness of restaurants and cockroaches.

Problem being I am terrified of the little things. I did know i might see a cockroach on my trip but i thought the chance would be very remote and just tried to put the thought at the back of my mind.

I know i'm being silly but this is going to really worry me now.

Are cockroaches really really common to see in New York?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,237 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: You have scared me now!!

I should clarify I meant the only restaurant I've seen them.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: You have scared me now!!

"It was so touristy, they added a 15% tip to make life easier for European visitors."

Don't forget that this is the Trip Advisor site, 'evening' and, as such, read by a lot of tourists. Not sure it's such a good idea to be quite so dismissive of them/us!

I have to add that you're not alone. I get the impression sometimes that certain posters would be quite happy if they never saw another tourist. I wonder whether they're on the right forum.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: You have scared me now!!

We saw no cockroaches in NYC in three trips. Only saw rats once in the subway.

Had a major problem with cockroaches at school. We had indoor and outdoor shoes, so each morning when we went in we had to shake the cockroaches out of our shoes before we put them on. This was an awful task, but infinitely better than not shaking them out first!!!

When we needed to collect them as part of a biology class though, it was very easy.

All you do is put about 2 inches of beer in a round-bottomed flask, support it at a 45 degree angle in a retort, add a cardboard ramp from the floor to just inside the flask and go home for the night. The next morning the flask contains many of your prey. They are attracted to the beer, they fall in and can't get out again.

That was the theory, and it certainly worked, but not really sure why they couldn't get out.

If anyone would like to test out this action to see if New York roaches are any wiser than naturalised British ones please let me know the results. And no, please don't send me any so I can try it myself.

Pat

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: You have scared me now!!

I bet I know someone who knows why they couldn't get out, Pat :)