We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

Scotland
Level Contributor
105 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

I understand that in some parts of the US, there are discounts for the over 55s, if so, does anyone know where in New York these discounts are offered.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5347214…

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

I haven't found any senior rates for 55. Most start at 62 or 65

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

rdglady--- there are many places that offer "senior discounts" with an AARP card and you only need to be 50 to join there and when going to the movies you can punch in a senior rate on the ticket machine--- if you are 55 no one is going to question you when you present your ticket... to a 20 something ticket taker someone who is 55 looks ancient.

Scotland
Level Contributor
105 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

Thanks for the response.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

Hola.

The only "senior" rate at 55 years and older that we know about in NYC is at the Garden of Eden grocery on 14th Street just east of 5th Avenue....10% discount on groceries. With or without an AARP membership, most other "senior" rates that we know about kick in at 65 years of age.

That said, folks run the risk of a public embarrassment (or worse such as being charged with "theft of service") when they claim to be seniors (and are not) for the purpose of obtaining a discount.

Bilmin: do you also encourage abled folks to park in a “disabled” zone?

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Scotland
Level Contributor
105 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

Just to let you all know we both turned 60 this year and celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary, hence our trip to New York. Just thought it was worth asking the question about senior discount and thanks everyone.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

Blimin--I have a AARP card but I don't punch senior where the age is older than I am. I agree with Matt--it is theft of service and it is lying--neither of which is something I engage in. AND, why not enumerate those, 'many places" that accept the AARP card and give discounts to you as a senior. Most of the places that give AARP discounts are places that would give the same discount to any number of organization members--nothing to do with age.

SummerSun--Congrats on the 40th Wedding Anniversary. Ask about discounts--you may find a handful but don't plan on it.

Edited: 8:25 am, May 01, 2012
8. Re: Senior Citizen discount i.e. over 55 years of age

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 am, June 22, 2013