We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park & Ride from New Jersey into NYC

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Park & Ride from New Jersey into NYC

We will be arriving in NJ with a large 15 passenger van and wanted to park it somewhere safe for the day and ride the train into NYC. We are not residents of NJ so we can't go somewhere and get a permit. I looked at Ridgefield, NJ, and I may be wrong, but it seems like you need a permit to park at the train station. We will be staying until about 8 or 9p.m. and then needing to take the train back to NJ. This will be on Thursday, April 19th. Also, if you can provide costs per person, or a link I can look at, I would greatly appreciate it!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park & Ride from New Jersey into NYC

You can park at the garage at the Secaucus Junction station of New Jersey Transit. It's right off the New Jersey Turnpike and has frequent trains to New York Penn Station.

Here's their URL:

www.parkfast.com/do/rates…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park & Ride from New Jersey into NYC

Have you considered driving into Manhattan and parking for the day? Yes, you'll have to pay a bridge or tunnel toll, and you'll have to deal with some traffic, and the parking will be expensive, but parking in NJ isn't free (and the most convenient locations can be expensive) and adding a train ride at the beginning and end of the day will chew up a significant amount of time (and money).

Before I comment further, I should note that I have no idea whether the van you've described will fit in a standard parking space. If not, I urge you to contact any garage or lot where you might park and find out whether they can accommodate your vehicle and what the cost will be.

If you want/need to park in NJ, I think the best place might be Secaucus Junction (exit 15X from the NJ Turnpike). The parking lot there is large (over 1000 spaces); the operator is Edison ParkFast (phone 888-727-5327). At least 4 NJ Transit rail lines stop at this station, so service is frequent, especially around rush hour. It's the last stop in NJ, so the trip to NY Penn Station is short (generally less than 15 minutes) and inexpensive ($4 each way for adults; $1.75 for children, seniors and the disabled).

I have never parked at Secaucus Junction, so I have no idea whether availability is likely to be a problem. The next place I'd consider is Metropark (adjacent to the Garden State Parkway; the station has 2 large garages plus an overflow lot); the facility is operated by Nexus Parking Systems, phone 732-906-1661. The train from Metropark to NYC usually takes 40-50 minutes (depending on number of stops) and costs $10 each way ($4.50 for child/senior/disabled).

There are other places that might work, but these seem like the best candidates based on the information you've presented.

Helpful websites:

For information on NJ Transit schedules, fares and stations: njtransit.com

For information on Secaucus Junction parking: parkfast.com

For information on Metropark parking: nexusparkingsystems.com

For information on parking in NYC: iconparking.com (parkfast.com also has information on a number of NYC facilities that the company operates).

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park & Ride from New Jersey into NYC

Note that the facility at Secaucus is nor a garage, but a gated outdoor lot. I have never heard of there ever being any lack of spaces there.

Edited: 7:47 pm, April 06, 2012
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,252 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park & Ride from New Jersey into NYC

I can't think of any station on the NJ Transit system that can accomadate a 15 person van. Alo note that unless you plan to hop a box car the station in Ridgefeild is no good. Plus there is plenty to see in New Jersey. Here are a few links.

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com\

www.shophaddonfieldnj.com/

www.funnewjersey.com/

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.discoversalemcounty.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,890 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park & Ride from New Jersey into NYC

I agree with jensdad

I checked the Metropark lot and as long as the van is under 6' 10" tall they can accomodate it there, even a 15 passenger van. Nexus Parking, which runs that facility, runs several others and should call each to see if they can accomodate our van. I did not think to ask for rates for oversized vehicles

Secaucus Junction is run by Edison and their customer service wasn't open when I tried calling but their web site is www.parkfast.com/do/rates… and their customer service number is - ((888) 727-5327) -- I'd give them a call to check on rates for oversized vehicles

After you've plotted out your trip get map and see which lot would be best.

Are you going to have that van full of people? If so, it may be cheaper to park in NYC than have everyone pay to take the train. However, many lots in NYC won't take a 15 passenger van. If you want to consider parking, use this web site http://nyc.bestparking.com/index.php to find a lot then call them to make sure they will take you and check rates for your oversized vehicle

6. Re: Park & Ride from New Jersey into NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 pm, June 19, 2013