We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting 10-13 Feb (advice)

derby UK
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
visiting 10-13 Feb (advice)

My wife and I are visiting NY and are staying at Crowne Plaza in Time SQ. Can I ask a couple of Questions:

1 upon arrival at JFK is it straight forward enough to get public transport either rail or road to our hotel or should just pay that bit extra and head straight to taxi rank?

2 we Havnt done an itinery we want shopping, sights, nice food and booze will find it quite straight forward once there.

3 How cold will it be ive seen the temps but will it feel much colder (wind chill)

4 Are night time activities (pubs and restraunts) formal or casual and are there any particular areas we should head for to spend the evening times without having to walk far between nice bars.

5 Finally my wife has seen on the net a restraunt that is ship on the hudson river and does 3hr cruise alonf the river is this any good, as she really fancies it and if we decide to do where could we book it.

Looking forward to very exciting 3 days

Staffordshire UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting 10-13 Feb (advice)

We are there at the same time as you, but arrive on the 9th, returning on the 13th, this site is just the best!, better than any guide book, it will be our first time in NYC, so don't feel able to give advice, but sure lots of people will respond to you and just scroll down some other posts, its all there, have a great trip, perhaps we'll bump into each other!

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting 10-13 Feb (advice)

Red, I would love to get your views on the Crowne Plaza once you get back.

I have heard from others who have stayed there on this forum, but would love to hear even more since we are going to stay there too.

Tx

New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting 10-13 Feb (advice)

…about.com/cs/…getto_jfk.htm

I live in NYC so I might be biased but I feel l ike NY is really easy to get around since much of it is based on a grid. Trains and buses go everywhere also.

Century 21 has good shopping deals, I love Central Park. Most travelers like 5th Avenue by Bergdorf's (59th)

There are really nice restaurants all through out NY. What cuisine are you looking for and in what neighborhood? My favorites are Nobu, Aquavit, Kung Gan San, Shanghai Cafe in Chinatown, City Crab, Atlantic Grill, Acapella, Galanga, Malatesta Trattoria... really the list goes on.

I would go to the top of the Empire State building at night. Ride a Red bus (sorry i don't know the name). I hate Times Sq but that's probably because I live here. I can see why it can be nice to see though.

You can also try www.newyork.citysearch.com and search by neighborhood (midtown) for reviews, ratings and locations. The site won't let me send the link myself.

The weather was bitterly cold last week and positively warm this week. It's suppsoed to be nice next week also. Of course I still wear my wool coat, scarf, etc.

The 3 hour cruise is also nice. You can search for this on citysearch for reviews. Cheaper on a weekday.

Enjoy!

derby UK
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting 10-13 Feb (advice)

Thanks for respones any more greatly accepted ive looked into the world yacht cruise and read some reviews but the only reviews that i could find seem to be from 2002/3 has anyone been more recently or can anyone suggest anthing different that my wife might enjoy along the lines of nice romantic meal with the valentines touch.

torquay england
Level Contributor
349 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting 10-13 Feb (advice)

Hi , we went on the World Yacht Cruise this time last year and it was fantastic.Food superb, views breathtaking and service imaculate.It was the one place we dressed up.Standing on the deck next to the Statue of Fiberty with eveybody singing the American National anthem is something we'll never forget.If you buy a City Pass it gives you quite a good discount about 25% also they have a similar offer with New Jersey transit if you have a ticket as proof of purchase.we didn't book last year until we got to Ny that's how we got the discount.It doesn't seem to get to busy In February.Have a great time.

New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting 10-13 Feb (advice)

Consider the strong possibility of snow on Thursday the13th perhaps (beginning as a little rain) but this storm is being watched VERY closely by the National Weather Service. Currently, the thinking is the snow will begin on Thursday with very windy conditins in its wake.