We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

I am flying out of laguardia airport on a tuesday. My flight departs at 11am. I am trying to figure out the best way (hopefully also cost effective way) to get from Grand central station to LGA. My concerns are the morning rush hour traffic and I do not know how much travel time should be allocated to get me to the airport before my flight departs. All help is greatly appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
91,976 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

You should allow 90 mins. to travel if you use taxi, car service or bus. It will likely take you 45-60 mins. but you never know when traffic can hold you up.

The cheapest way is a subway to a bus for ~$8/person.

The cheapest easy way is the Express bus for $15/person with no changes.

A car service will cost ~ $35

dial7.com

is one good option.

More info here

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

As Nywhiz notes there is the express bus right at Grand Central. Exit Grand Central on 42d street. Walk right across 42d street, under the over pass, the buses line up right there and leave on schedule.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
28,927 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

Another vote for the bus: http://www.nyairportservice.com/

Easy!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

thanks for all the help. I think i will go with the bus.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,110 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

I've been traveling between Grand Central and LaGuardia for most of my life and I've always taken the 7 train from Grand Central to 82nd Street station in Queens and then transfered to the Q.33 bus on 83rd Street (just north of the intersection with Roosevelt Avenue - underneath the subway). The Q.33 bus serves all terminals at LaGuardia. This is $2.25 total (or free if you're using an unlimited ride MetroCard).

The express bus is fine too and I've done it on occasion (if I've had an exorbitant amount of luggage). The advantage to the express bus is no transfer but it is more expensive.

Either way, you're looking at 45 - 55 minutes. A taxi or sedan maybe 45 minutes or 90 minutes. The bus usually has shortcuts into the tunnel. The 7 train obviously has no traffic (but you do have to transfer to the Q.33 bus which makes this method less seamless).

One thing is for sure, you have options.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
6. Re: Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

Thank you much.

Edited: 7:21 pm, July 24, 2012
7. Re: Please help! Getting from Grand Central station to Laguardia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 26, 2013