We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Public Toilets in NYC

Broken Hill...
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best Public Toilets in NYC

For those out and about near Bryant Park, just wanted to let you all know they have THE best toilets I've visited in my month long holiday........no, seriously. A Beautiful big fresh flower arrangement as you enter (I kid you not) automatic toilet seat covers at the wave of a hand before you sit on the throne,and perfectly clean amenities. Thanks NYC for an amazing time. Any wonder I keep coming back.

Broken Hill...
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

Oh and thanks especially to all who offered their advice over the past month . Although I know you hate to admit it, you New Yorkers really are a bunch of nice guys.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

I think that the best public toilet is the one that is clean, open and there when you need it. Hotel lobbies, department stores, Starbucks and larger restaurants are all likely to have decent loos. The last ones I actually used were Century 21, Grand Central Station and Supreme Court Manhattan.

Century 21 was clean but utilitarian - and I really hate those hot air blowers. Grand Central, near the food court is also clean and somewhat nicer. But Supreme Court Manhattan is amazing. The main bathroom is located on the second floor. To get there you walk on this elevated platform near the roof of the two story mezzanine. The art on the walls and ceiling are incredible , and half way through there is a great painting of Teddy Roosevelt, one of my heroes, on the far wall. The bathroom itself is totally old school. Huge ceramic urinals running from your shoulders to the floor. Stalls that are separated by large marble dividers. And these wonderful old schools sinks. It is like you stepped into a movie set from the twenties.

Maybe GWB could help me out with this one, but I believe that if you are caught urinating in public the charge is "indecent exposure." Now that is a difficult charge to explain away.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

Well that's an original reason to keep going back voyager! LOL! However I do agree with you about those particular places. Some of ours here in Sydney could take a leaf out of their books!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

Also I do agree with you about the New Yorkers. Friendly and helpful people.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

Decent (clean, large enough): Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor, Tiffany

Decent but not so large cubicles: Macys

In the "olden days" you could just walk into a hotel and use bathrooms (I remember the one in the Plaza on the ground floor.) Since 9/11, I dont know if hotels still let you do that.

Starbucks...but you may have to wait. Usually 1 toilet in ea. starbucks. I know for a fact that the SBUX in Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn closed the toilet for customers because so many homeless people were using it.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

The best are any toilets where you can easily distinguish between male and female toilets. Staring at the doors at Becco for 5 minutes trying to figure out if its a rooster or a chicken is not my idea of a good time

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

I remember having to stop off at Bryant park loos and I was very impressed. Much better than your average public toilets. I can't remember if there was a charge or not but did not mind if there was.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

Hola.

For “unusual” how about the most ancient urinals in NYC which may be those at Foley's bar located on 33rd Street directly south of the Empire State Building. You see the ESB was built on the lot that had been the old Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, and legend has it that when the hotel was demolished, the urinals (they look like regal thrones) went to Foley’s. Many visitors, after purchasing a soft drink, go and “mark their territory”.

The urinals are only in the men’s room, but this is NYC and the women we know have no problem taking a peek…they simply walk on in and (if necessary) “pretend”. :-))

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Edited: 9:49 am, January 26, 2012
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

One of NYC's worst problems for its tourists (and I would think ordinary folks too) is a major shortage of public restrooms for the number of people around. There are websites and phone apps dedicated to helping you find one.

I've been there enough now to know where to find one when in need. For me the most disgusting one was in Washington Square Park, and the nicest was in Sak's.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Public Toilets in NYC

Karen - you can still get away with a lot of the hotels if you know where the bathrooms are, and walk there with confidence. The Hilton on 6th Ave is a good one - there are always conventions or trade shows on the 2nd floor, so they have a hard time keeping track of who goes in our out.

here are some of my usual spots:

Flatiron - Barnes & Noble on 5th - the bathroom is in the back by the text books and usually disgusting!

Union Square- Barnes & Noble Union Square is my usual go-to spot. Not as disgusting.

Soho - Not sure if it is still there, but there was a store on Broadway at Grand - Z Gallery - with a clean bathroom downstairs. Or, the Starbucks across from Sur La Tabla on Prince or Spring. BYO paper (when I travel abroad, I always have a tissue packet in my camera bag for this purpose); Starbucks is often out.

suitcaseready.com