We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

life threatening rubber latex allergy

Brentwood...
1 post
Save Topic
life threatening rubber latex allergy

I'll be staying at the New Yorker on Eighth street for the Westminster Kennel club dog show. Does anybody know if there are any latex free restaurants in the general area? I carry epi pens and liquid benadryl in case I am exposed to the rubber protein. Thanks!

Kathy

Stamford...
Level Contributor
834 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

Wow. That's a question I've never seen before. I found this:

latexallergyinfo.com/latexfreerestaurants.htm

if you scroll down to the bottom of the page it lists a few Manhattan restaurants.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,321 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

That site is helpful, but a little depressing, because it sentences you to a life eating at mediocre national chain restaurants rather than anywhere interesting. On the other hand, better mediocre national chain restaurants than death, that's for sure.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

At least, Junior's is on the uncontaminated list.

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

Wow, you have a bad reaction. My husband has a sensitivity to Latex and gets a rash. We make to sure list it as an allergy on his medical record so no latex is used during procedures, etc.

What do you do about the new latex mattresses that seem to be everywhere?

I hope you have a symptom free trip to NYC.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
834 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

I also found an article from a couple of years ago where Risotteria in the Village claimed they were gluten-free, latex-free. It's a vegetarian Italian place. I would think with any of these places, you might want to call first and confirm that they are still latex free.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

With an allergy that severe, I wouldn't trust either a forum (most of us have absolutely no experience with latex allergies) OR restaurant employees, who also probably have no experience with questions about latex as opposed to, say, gluten or peanuts. The website seems to be your best bet as the people who run it are clearly well-informed - I would not stray off that list.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,503 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

I wouldn't even trust the website completely because things can change day by day - I would call any place you are thinking of going to confirm they don't use it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,261 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

does breathing Latex paint impact you? you will have to check to be sure your hotel has no recently painted areas.

I'm allergic to Latex to the extent that my hands will swell up if I paint with it, so Im always a little worried when breathing fresh paint!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
45 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

Unfortunately some of the restaurants listed as "Latex Free" in NYC are NOT. Please call and check before you go.

Vestal, New York
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: life threatening rubber latex allergy

I know this post was posted awhile ago, but I have a Latex Allergy also, and I found that there are actually a ton of food service establishments that use latex free gloves in NYC, you just need to go in and ask, or even call and ask, but double check when you get there....

Also, if anyone is in the NY/LI Area, there will be a Latex Allergy Awareness Walk at Sunken Meadow State Park on October 7, 2012, starting at 11am. To register or find out more info go to Latexawarenesswalk.wix.com/home and until September 21, 2012, if you register you will be receiving a free t-shirt!!!

In addition, if you cannot attend the walk, sign up as a Virtual Walker!!

Good luck!