We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
157 posts
Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

What are free-admission Saturday evenings at the Metropolitan Museum like? Are most of the wings open? Can you wander through the museum at leisure, or is it really just a "scene," where the real focus of the place is youthful mixing/drinking and music?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
15 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

The MET is always pay as you wish. Save your time in the lines and just donate whatever you think is an acceptable amount.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,130 reviews
478 helpful votes
2. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

The bar scene is a roped off area over the entrance. The balance is open and crowd free. We prefer the evening visits as you have more elbow room and coupled with an early dinner in the cafeteria before it closes, it's a really nice evening. Don't be cheap on the admission..whatever you pay, you are getting way more than you paid for.

Edited: 6:07 am, January 12, 2012
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,960 posts
233 reviews
258 helpful votes
3. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

The previous posts are good, but two caveats:

(Opinion:)I'm curmudgeonly about the admission fee, because when I was a child, there was no admission fee whatsoever at the Met. It is much easier to raise funds for "bricks and mortar" and artwork acquisition, so statements about hiring guards and cleaning the toilets ring a bit hollow to me. My point is that tourists with limited funds or large families should not be intimidated into paying huge admission fees. There are important reasons why they are prohibited from charging a fixed fee.

I haven't been to the Saturday night indoor bar. But after having a perfectly good $12 cocktail at the Roof Sculpture Garden (not open in winter ...), I brought my empty plastic cup back to the bartender and asked for a glass of water. (As any serious drinker does at a bar!) My request was politely declined, although I was offered the opportunity to PURCHASE a plastic bottle of filtered water! I'll never buy a cocktail up there again.

In their defense, the roof has a roll-out, catering company-type bar with no plumbing. (Health Department-are you listening?) But what do they do when someone asks for whiskey and water? My next project may be to count the water fountains and see if they match the Zoning requirement for the maximum approved occupancy level.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

I think that a tourist, who can afford a vacation to NYC including hotel, food, and sightseeing, should feel ashamed if they cannot find a way to include a $20/person admission fee to one of the best art museums in the world into their budget, and should probably postpone their vacation until their finances are in better order.

The people who should NOT feel ashamed are the low-income RESIDENTS of NYC.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,884 posts
13 reviews
35 helpful votes
5. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

Unless something has changed, there is no free Sat. night entry nor is there any mention of it on their website.

http://metmuseum.org/visit

The museum is always pay what you wish, but you must pay something. Perhaps you're getting this confused with MOMA which is free on Fri. evenings starting at 5 pm and is not pay what you wish ordinarily.

As the website I linked above says, all the wings are open til 9 pm on Sat. (unless there's some construction or exhibit change happening) and while some go for the drinks, most are there to see the museum.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

The museum makes art accessable by allowing you to pay what you think is fair or what you can afford. NO ONE who works there will look down on anyone who can't pay the suggested admission.

If you can't afford it, pay what you can, if you are cheap, pay what you want, if you are only going to see one thing pay what you think it's worth. Most visitors have paid some tax to the city, either residents or those staying at hotels, so don't worry about it - the city provides some funding for the Met and for the American Museum of Natrual History. Other museums have discounted, free, or pay what you wish times to encourage people to see the art. Just don't worry about it.

I suspect that many of those who get rilled about this are trying to justify their reasons.

I'd be pretty sure the museum follows the building codes, since the city owns the building.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
10 reviews
14 helpful votes
7. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

I've been there a few times in the evening, and there can be a wait to get a table on the balcony, where they serve drinks. The rest of the museum is like normal hours (you can't carry drinks into the galleries). I don't remember any music, mixing, or other shenanigans. I think all of the galleries were open, but it's so huge that even if they aren't there will be plenty to see.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
1 review
8. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

The evenings are the only times to visit IMO. I was a member for years, and loved the evenings on Fri & Sat best - hardly any tourists, mostly locals. Could get up close and see more. Used to always get dinner at either Cafeteria or Members Only restaurant.

Edited: 1:04 pm, January 12, 2012
9. Re: Saturday night at the Metropolitan Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, March 07, 2013