We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from Penn Station to JFK airport

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
transport from Penn Station to JFK airport

We are taking amtrak from Washington D.C. to NYC to catch a flight from JFK airport. We will be getting off at Penn Station. I saw some postings mentioning Airtrain but it looks like one has to take the subway to get on Airtrain. We are trying to avoid the subway, therefore hesitant to take Airtrain. Can anyone recommend relaible shuttle buses from Penn to JFK?

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from Penn Station to JFK airport

I took the AIrtrain to JFK this morning.

Why would you want to avoid the subway? It's safe, inexpensive and easy -- just like the Airtrain.

From Penn Station jump on the E train to Sutphin Park. Once there, you just follow the signs to the Airtrain. Couldn't be easier.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from Penn Station to JFK airport

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hesitant because I will be on the subway during rush hour and felt it would be a nightmare with luggage and all. But coming from someone who just took Airtrain, I will take your advice. Thanks, and a Happy New Year to you.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from Penn Station to JFK airport

You could also take the Long Island Railroad, which goes to Jamaica where you switch to the Air Train. That will be quicker, though there are not as many trains.

If you are coming at rush hour the LAST thing you want is to be on a bus or a car as you will be in traffic forever

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from Penn Station to JFK airport

Actually, from Penn Station to Jamaica there are MORE trains on the Long Island Rail Road at rush hour than there are on the subway - Jamaica is the main transfer point on the LIRR, and every train that leaves Penn on any line other than the Port Washington Line will stop at Jamaica.

If you are taking Amtrak to NY Penn and want to go to JFK, I would definitely take the LIRR to Jamaica for the AirTrain.

(And Truman, note that the E subway stop next to Jamaica Station is called "Sutphin Boulevard/Archer Avenue"; there is no such place as "Sutphin Park".)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
197 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
Archer Hotel New York
Archer Hotel New York
3,391 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transport from Penn Station to JFK airport

The fastest and by far the easiest way to get to JFK Airport from Penn Station is to simply take the Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica (trains are super fast and super frequent) - it is a very easy and seamless connection from the LIRR to the JFK AirTrain at Jamaica - that is the way to go.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island Rail Road
Long Island Rail Road
197 Reviews
Jamaica, NY
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
6. Re: transport from Penn Station to JFK airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 24, 2013