We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Park highlights

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Central Park highlights

I'm definitely getting excited at this stage. 11 days to go :-) I have searched on the forum but haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for, so here goes..

Weather permitting, on either Tuesday 21st or Wednesday 22nd I hope to spend a few hours wandering in Central Park. What would you consider to be the highlights? I don't want to take a carriage ride, as I've heard that some of the horses are questionably treated, but would like to see as much as possible on foot. I've had a look at the website but haven't found what I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Park highlights

Try this link centralparknyc.org - this is the official website of the Central Park Conservancy.

A wealth of information of this historic park.

Poppa

Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Park highlights

Which website did you look at? The Trip Advisor site or the Central Park site?

There are two good Central Park websites:

Central Park Conservancy:

www.centralparknyc.org

Central Park (privatately operated site)

www.centralpark.com

The Conservancy gives free walking tours. On Wednesday the 22nd, there will be a tour called "Cross-Park Promenade" which is excellent, and gives you a good overview of the Park. Even better, it's free!

My favorite spots in the Park include:

The Lake, including Bow Bridge and Bethesda Fountain.

Belevedere Castle (great views)

Harlem Meer - Gorgeous, although perhaps a bit far to travel depending on your schedule.

I'd definitely recommend the tour. You can find all of the above locations on either of the websites I mentioned.

Enjoy the Park!

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Park highlights

The Zoo is my favorite part...love those pirahnas.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
340 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Park highlights

That's excellent, thank you. I hadn't seen that website. I'll definitely try to do that walking tour. Its only an hour (I can contnue wandering afterwards myself) and starts at a convenient time, in that its not too early in the morning! :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,955 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Park highlights

centralpark2000.com/touring/…tour_sites.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,286 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Park highlights

My guy friends are the world champion freestyle Frisbee players who haunt the Sheep Meadow or band shell area nightly and weekends- but usually only Thursday in the winter, so you may or may not get to see this. It looks more like ballet than guys throwing a frisbee around.

I love the zoo too. The penguins, puffins and famous polar bear, who actually has a therapist.