We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TriBeCa: safe and convenient location or not?

UK
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
TriBeCa: safe and convenient location or not?

Thinking of staying at the Cosmopolitain Hotel in TriBeCa area, the Hotel has good reviews on this website but we aren't sure of the suitability of the area? Can anyone give some thoughts? And on how long it will take to get from this area to key tourist sights. (We're happy to take the subway and don't mind walking a few miles). Any other good value hotel recommendations would also be useful ($160 per night or less)

Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,467 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TriBeCa: safe and convenient location or not?

Tribeca is perfectly safe if not terribly central. Some streets are nicer than others. It is very close to things like the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, the WTC site, Wall St. and not too far from the South Street Seaport. I'm not familiar with the hotel so looked it up here. While the reviews are very good, I was a bit surprised to see it rated only 1 star. While I know these ratings are sometimes misleading and arbitrary, that would concern me. $160 is not rock bottom, and for that price I think there may be better or at least more accessible options. Here's a link to the subway map.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

There's a link to a map that shows where the hotel is here

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q5D122B5A

If there are only 2 of you and you only need 1 bed, the single best deal is bidding on Priceline IF you know what you're doing. Read up on biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com You can get a 4* hotel in midtown, depending on time of year, for $100-140/night.

If you're more than 2 or don't want to risk bidding, hotels.com, easyclicktravel.com and hotwire would also yield some decent hotels at that price.

Bottom line, while it might be just fine, I think there may be better options. How old are you and what sort of hotels do you like? I think Tribeca would be more appropriate if you're under 35 and into less traditional hotels.

Flushing, NY
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TriBeCa: safe and convenient location or not?

Tribeca is safe, not particularly convenient. You'll need the subway or a lot of walking to see most of the attractions visitors want to see. Tribeca is a young, recently trendy neighborhood with some decent restaurants. Downtown attractions such as Wall St, Ground Zero, the west Village, the ferry terminal, etc. should all be within walking distance. For Times Square and the theater district, Rock Center, Central Park, 5th Avenue shops, Grand Central Station, ESB and most of the museums you'll need tansportation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TriBeCa: safe and convenient location or not?

I stayed at the Cosmo back in 2000 and there is a subway stop right in front of the hotel. The area was quite safe as I recall.