We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport From JFK

England
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Transport From JFK

We are travelling to New York this weekend and landing at JFK. I have only been to New York once before, and pre-booked a taxi to take me from the airport to the Empire State Building. This didn't really work - the taxi driver turned up a couple of hours late after lots of frustrated phone calls.....

I have heard that there is a bus service from JFK which will take us to the Empire State Building area. Has anybody got any comments on this service ?

Finally, I've never been to New York in November before. I'm guessing I won't need my Speedos ! Is it hat, scarf and gloves weather ?!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport From JFK

No need to pre-book a ride from JFK, just head out to the taxi stand and get one from the dispatcher. While the line (queue) may look daunting it moves fast. There is a bus to Grand Central Terminal, Penn Station or the Port Authority Bus Terminal, with the Penn Station Stop being closest to the Empire State building. If you let us know your hotel location you might get better directions: there is also an easy way to get in by subway, but much depends on amount of luggage and hotel location.

Tons of info at http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk.html

Edited: 8:55 am, November 14, 2011
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport From JFK

"Finally, I've never been to New York in November before. I'm guessing I won't need my Speedos ! Is it hat, scarf and gloves weather ?!"

www.weather.com www.wunderground.com can give you forecasts

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport From JFK

You cannot pre-book a taxi in New York City; by definition, taxis can only be hailed at the time you want service. You pre-booked a car service, and I'm guessing not a very good one. (Did you find a cheap company on the internet? That's never a good plan.) The train to Penn Station will be fastest and cheapest, but you'll have to tell us exactly where you're going to get the best directions. Or just hop in a yellow taxi at the dispatcher queue - DO NOT get in the car of anyone offering you a ride.

England
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport From JFK

Thanks for the information.

From the link that Al-NYC kindly provided above, I read about the NYC Airporter shuttle service: http://www.nycairporter.com/

Has anybody else used this service ?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,029 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport From JFK

The airtrain & subway combination is an easy, cheap & stress-free way of getting into Manhatten from JFK

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,787 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport From JFK

Is there a reason you're so determined to use a service that is slower and more expensive than the train? If you tell us what that reason is, we can give you better advice.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport From JFK

Bring an umbrella.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport From JFK

If u want the comfort of a car ride, don't mind the cost and u are not very good with directions, then use a yellow cab right outside of the terminal as al-nyc recommended.

If u reserve a car in advance and did pre-pay for it, and they don't show up, u can always take the yellow cab.

The weather is cold, bundle up.

England
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport From JFK

Sorry Brooklyn Bridge - just reading up on the train option. I need to get to 35th Street, so presumably Penn Station from JFK is my best option.

Umbrella ? Nightmare, I'll come prepared.....

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport From JFK

35th Street is two miles long. Perhaps you might like to be a bit less vague, and actually tell us the address (buildings do have them, you know) of your hotel? I don't know why you are being so stubborn about telling us where you actually want to go. People here are trying to help you, but if you keep insisting on making it like pulling teeth, people will soon tire of the effort.