We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The View Restaurant - Marriot Hotel

Ibiza
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
The View Restaurant - Marriot Hotel

Hi, im thinking of going to the view restaurant can anyone recommend it or is it overpriced? Is there a better restaurant with just as good a view?

Thanks

Nick

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The View Restaurant - Marriot Hotel

We went last year for their dessert and cheese buffet and drinks. The food was completely average - I've had much better for a lot cheaper in chain restaurants for example. The cocktails were lovely but also pretty expensive. The view, in my opinion, wasn't even all that great. You have to look sharply downwards for a view of Times Square and most of the rest of the time your view is of the offices in the neighbouring buildings.

I guess it depends what sort of view you want really and hopefully others can chip in here with some recommendations, but in the meantime you could look at the Rock Centre Café at Rockefeller Centre (especially in winter when the ice skating rink is open apparently), River Café or Water's Edge.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The View Restaurant - Marriot Hotel

Hey Nick:-) The food is nothing to rave about..you can always head up for a drink which is pricey..you're paying for the view;-) Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,758 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The View Restaurant - Marriot Hotel

The unique thing about the View is that it revolves so the view is constantly changing. But as food goes it's very average with very above average pricing. They have an early dinner buffet I think and the dessert buffet that's not a bad way to go or go for a drink before 8 pm. After 8, they charge a cover fee just to walk in.

The best views of the skyline are from outside Manhattan looking back.

Rivercafe.com

in Brooklyn is judged to be the best place for good food and view but it's quite pricey. There are less expensive options in Long Island City like

Riverview

http://watersedgenyc.com/

Here's a list of other places with a view

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c67171/New-Yor…

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The View Restaurant - Marriot Hotel

I still like the View, not only because it is revolving but also because it is a view not from far away but from the inside: you sit right in the middle of Midtown's skyscrapers actually. This makes a very different view from the one you have from River Café. I enjoy both actually.

But I agree with other posters: don't eat there, just enjoy a drink and sit for a one hour turn!

sunderland, uk
Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The View Restaurant - Marriot Hotel

Hi,

totally agree with everything said above. I have just returned from New York and went to the view for a special meal with a party of 10. The food was fine but very over priced, as were the cocktails. We didn't get a window seat and the way the table was arranged meant that half of my party were facing the wall! I wouldn't recommend it.

I didn't go to River Cafe but have heard its amazing from a friend.

6. Re: The View Restaurant - Marriot Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, November 02, 2012