We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from midtown to JFK

Dublin
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from midtown to JFK

I see that there is a fixed charge of $45 + tolls and tip - giving a total of $60 - for a taxi trip from JFK to midtown. And from what I understand, this fixed fare also applies to a journey from midtown to JFK. Can we just hail a yellow cab on the street and assume the fare to JFK will be this fixed fare? And does it cost any more for our hotel to call a yellow cab for us when we are ready to leave? I am a bit wary that they might call a 'private' (or limo) operator which would end up being a lot more expensive. On the other hand, we are four people and will have four suitcases + hand luggage each so we would probably need a minivan cab rather than a standard saloon cab - and I am wondering would we be likely to get a minivan if we just wait on the street?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

you cant "book" or "call" a yellow cab - you can only hail them on the street.

you can however book a car service such as dial7.com or carmel.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

You can prearrange a minivan with a company like All State or Dial 7 but it will likely cost more than a taxi. There are a fair number of minivan taxi's so as long as you leave a couple extra minutes, you shouldn't have any difficulty (unless you are leaving on a rainy afternoon around 4:00PM when it may be a bit more difficult).

The fixed fare is the fixed fare. You say JFK and they hit the JFK fixed fare button. In reality, the fare wouldn't be much more (possibly even a dollar or two less depending on route and time of day) if you didn't get the fixed fare. You will get the fixed fare but you don't need to worry.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,737 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

Yes, you can just hail a cab on the street and get the fixed fare to JFK. It may be more difficult to find a minivan taxi doing it that way, but it's possible. For a return trip to the airport, I'd book a car service which, as LMV correctly says, is the only way you can phone for transportation (you can't phone for a yellow taxi). That way you don't have to worry whether you will find a taxi when you need it or whether you can find a minivan. But the car services will charge a bit more for a minivan or SUV vehicle.

Dublin
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

OK - thanks for the advice. I did not realize you could not call ahead/pre-book a yellow cab - as we can here with all our taxis. Useful to know. I think when we get to NY I will investigate prices for dial 7 or carmel to book a minivan/SUV for the return journey. Seems like the safest option. Maybe I can ask the hotel reception to do it for us.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

Dont ask the hotel - do it yourself.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,860 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

A minivan (6) from Carmel would be about $80 including toll & tip (a sedan or ordinary yellow cab would be $60). It may be a little cheaper ($5 less) if a non toll route (e.g. 59th St. Bridge) is used.

As LVM says book this yourself. I find it easier to book on line but you could also phone (free call). There are often some coupons that can save a few $. If you asked the hotel to arrange this I guess it will be $20 or $30 more.

http://www.carmellimo.com

I always use Carmel to get to the airport as they come to the hotel at the pre-arranged time and are usually very courteous and help with loading luggage etc.

Bear in mind they may not be able to leave the vehicle and come into the hotel lobby easily, especially if parking is at a premium, so you may need to wait outside the hotel.

It can be difficult to hail a yellow cab, especially at peak times and as a visitor (and if it starts raining!). If the hotel has a doorman they mail hail a cab for you but it would be customary to tip them for doing so.

Final point - there are taxi ranks outside places like stations (as there are at the airport) - if your hotel is near one of them you can go and get a taxi there. Tell the dispatcher you need a larger taxi.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

if you go to Dial 7's website, you can find out what the fare would be:

I dont know your hotel, so I picked an arbitrary address midtown, using your 4 peeps/6 luggage ( I know you have 4 but I'm allowing for carryons which I hope are small):

a mini van is 1-5 people and 5 luggage, but that may not be enough for you. Mini-van is $75 plus tip/tolls, and a "select SUV" is 1-6 pax, luggage and $135 plus tolls/tip.

You might want to contact them and check about how much luggage and if mini van would work. So even minivan could be $98 without tolls (if they take mid-town tunnel, it will be "plus tolls". A taxi of $45 would be about $52-54 (depending on how generous you tip. (I would just give $55), so you could take TWO Taxis and meet at airport.

Dublin
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

Thanks so much g0akc and karenjme - you have really done a lot of work on my behalf. I am hoping a minivan will be sufficient - especially since our airline only allows us each 23kg of checked luggage (used to be 32kg in the past for long haul). That will seriously limit what we can buy during our trip (this is not good news at all, especially for our teens!). So if a minivan officially takes 5 pax + 5 luggage we should be ok. I am taking notes of the names of the companies to call - Carmel at around $80 could be our best bet. I think it would def be better to book ahead rather than trying to hail a suitable yellow cab - leaving to get back to the airport is always stressful enough as it is. If we book online, do we pre-pay online or how does that work?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

You can simply pay the driver at the end of your journey in cash

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from midtown to JFK

Hey blairblue:-) I use Carmel exclusively (1 212 666 6666) and although I usually travel solo, I just call them same day! You can give them a call a day or 2 before and make arrangements..if you'll be paying by CC, they'll take the info at the time of the booking! Have fun..and EnjoY!