We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

AZ
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

getting more tickets with my daughter 15. Thinking of wicked or hairspray. Any suggestions? Also, if wicked, does it matter where the seating is there?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

I have seen both, and recommend both. It is easier to get Hairspray tickets discounted, as there are no discounts for Wicked at this time. Log onto www.playbill.com, go to Broadway shows, and you can see seating charts. I had orchestra seats for Wicked, about halfway back, which were very good, and very bad seats for Hairspray (saw it discounted in previews), so check the chart. There is a previous post regarding seating, check out everyones opinion. You can also get discounts at the above site, at www.theatermania.com and www.broadwaybox.com. You can join them all for free.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

I always check seating and reserve based on that. It's no fun to pay a lot of money only to sit in a crummy seat at a Broadway play. I loved Wicked, it's worth the price. Get good seats!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

Saw "Hairspray" and it was great!! Your 15 year old daughter will love it and be dancing in the aisle. Haven't seen Wicked yet although that's on my list.

Telecharge is running a special on "Hairspray" right now. Use code "tel" . From the website:

not valid for Saturday evening

performances, Offer excludes performances Jan. 14-16 and Feb. 18-20. Not valid on previously purchased tickets and may not be combined with any other offers. All sales final; no refunds or exchanges. Telephone/internet orders subject to standard Ticketmaster service fees. Limit 8 tickets per order. Offer may be revoked at any time. Expires 3/20/05.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

Although you did not bring this up, a great mother/daughter play is MamaMia. We loved it and it's perfect for dancing in the aisles too. But we adore Hairspray too!

Jericho, New York
Level Contributor
212 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

She'll love either one--I saw Wicked a couple of weeks ago and was at the matinee where Tony Award winning Idinia Menzel (no longer in the show) fell down a trap door and broke her rib. (She was replaced by an understudy.)

the place was PACKED with teenager girls who seem to love the show--really, loved Idina (a cute girl who grew up on Long Island, so has a big local following), but the music was boring and too long. Great interesting story though!

Hairspray was by far the more "musical" and fun show.

Unless your daughter is really, really turned on by The Wizard of Oz, I'd vote for Hairspray. (With a musical, it really doesn't matter where you're sitting. At least that's one veteran theater-goer's opinion.)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

I agree! "Wicked" is lots of fun, though the original cast (except Joel Gray!) was much better. But it says something about Stephen Schwartz's music that you leave the theater humming the music from "Wizard of Oz." The Gershwin is a HUGE theater, so there's lots of good seating. Make sure you're not in the orchestra below the overhang, or you miss the fire-breathing dragon that sits atop the proscenium, and some of the flying monkeys. Try not to sit too far on either side too. By the way, even if it's a sellout, they hold a daily lottery for the ~25 front row seats, which they sell at the incredible bargain of $25. First row isn't bad for this show because the orchestra pit is quite deep. I've gotten lucky the only time I tried, and a friend has gotten in twice by the lottery. For details, go to www.playbill.com and look for the link on the right side of their home page that offers info on Rush, SRO and Lottery policies.

All in all, "Hairspray" is a much better show, though, again, I can't imagine it without Harvey Fierstein. The good news is that, since Harvey left, they've been offering discounts. I've seen the show a couple of times, and smiled my way through both times. (But then, I adore Harvey!)

"Mamma Mia" is loads of fun, and a big seller, particularly with foreign tourists, so it's still often tough to get a ticket. There are no special effects, so sit anywhere. (Of course, far side tickets are never great.)

"La Cage aux Folles" isn't as fabulous as the original, but is still excellent. Both the brilliant Gary Beach and the big-voiced Daniel Davis are fabulous, and the ensemble is out of this world!

I'm seeing "Dame Edna" tonight. I've seen her previous show here, and she's always a treat.

AZ
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

Thanks all. Think we'll go with hairspray. and already have chicago...two shows that week will be perfect. Appreicate the comments.

AZ
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Gerschwin/wicked & Hairspray

Thanks all. Think we'll go with hairspray. and already have chicago...two shows that week will be perfect. Appreicate the comments.