We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airbnb - is it safe

Karalee
7 posts
Save Topic
Airbnb - is it safe

Hi everyone

I have read numerous threads about renting illegal apartments so I now have more of an understanding, however I did read on frommers I think that if you actually rent a room from someone than that seems to be ok.

I have been looking on airbnb where people actually rent out their rooms so my understanding is this is legal. I have only been looking at the ones that have 20+ reviews, all positive, and the ones who are classed as a "superhost" although I am unsure what that means.

We are coming from 22 June - 2 July, so total of 10 nights, I have looked on travelzoo and all others recommended and cheapest I could find was Astor on the Park for $1806, whereas airbnb I found one for $1250.

I am really keen to hear from tourists who have "rented" through airbnb, I just want to make sure that it's all safe and legit, I do understnad that if you do everything through the website then you seem to be ok.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Nic

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

A frequent poster Mark recently used the sevice and recommended it. I would say its a case to case basis and err on the side of caution.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,981 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

A close friend of mine is one of those super-hosts, and he has a great time showing tourists the ropes. I have also used AirBNB for hosted accommodation in LA and had a terrific trip. Looking at feedback is critically important; pay attention to what other people say about the place you're staying.

Karalee
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

Fantastic thanks so much guys I really appreciate it. As I said she has 26 reviews all glowing, and about 25 photos so I think she's the way to go.

Nic : )

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

Nic, the hotel rates you're seeing now are largely top dollar "rack rates"; in fact, a fair number of hotels haven't even posted rates for 9+ months from now, so don't make an airbnb booking simply because you're thinking you can't afford anything else decent.

What you might consider doing is splitting your stay so that you will have more private space & your own bathroom (not usually a feature of NYC airnbnb hosted accommodations) for part of the trip. You could make a no-commitment reservation for a room at the nice Verve hotel in Long Island City (not actually a city, but the name of a neighborhood that's right across the East River from midtown Manhattan) for as little as $119/night (queen bed) -- or if you feel like a bit more of a splurge, $129/night (king bed) or $159/night for a 2-room suite (living room + king-bedded bedroom). All rates are, as is the norm here, before taxes.

http://www.vervehotel.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48080-d1114169…

Edited: 8:59 pm, September 27, 2011
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

Hello there.

Yeah, I did it. I rented the spare room of someones place. I was going to be renting the spare room of jhwanderers good friend, but missed the chance to get that and it got booked up.

I made my booking around 3 months before I was due to get to NYC, which is a totally different timescale to what you're looking at. I kinda agree with CockleCove that you really need to think and be 100% sure you want to go down this route. A lot of airbnb rates have fees involved in cancelling, and also, you are required to pay 100% up front, which is then held in escrow by airbnb, before being passed onto your host, the day after you've checked in.

M

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

It can be fine if you a veteran traveller like Mark and know what to ask but be aware it can also be a real SCAM no matter how many reviews you think you have read. Personal recommendation is always best and remember the crooks are always smarter than you or I. Just be careful as what you read and see on the internet may be pure fiction.

7. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, September 28, 2011
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

I obviously upset the TA police.

Airbnb is safe, Bilmin has never used it so really can't comment.

Let's see how long that comment lasts.

9. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, August 27, 2012
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airbnb - is it safe

Can 't that be true of any online experience? I booked a "hotel" on booking.com that was horrific. It took me weeks to get it sorted out with my credit card, as the hotel charged me despite the fact I didn't stay there. I think the pictures of the hotel must have been taken decades ago, as it looked nothing like what I was looking at. Ultimately scammers are hawking discounted luxury stays all over the internet. Unless you intend to drive to every property you are contemplating a stay at, you are taking a risk when you hit that purchase button on airbnb or any other website.