We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go select pass + other

wales
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Go select pass + other

Hi all

4 of us are in new York in October Tuesday afternoon, all day Wednesday and Thursday morning.

I'm looking at arranging an itinerary for us.

So far I have planned:

Tuesday pm

Top of the rock and walk in central park with something to eat at the boathouse.

Wednesday all day

Early helicopter flight then ferry to liberty and Ellis islands. After lunch visit WTC then empire state building plus shopping.

I intend to use a 'go select' pass for the top of the rock/Ellis /liberty and empire state . Has anyone used them? What are they like??

To travel around we're using the subway????

Does anyone have any suggestions or things I need to consider or do????

Style Room NYC Shopping Tour Experiences
Walking Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Chelsea Market
Flea & Street Markets
The Strand Bookstore
Gift & Specialty Shops
Tiffany & Co.
Gift & Specialty Shops
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Go select pass + other

For Ellis/Liberty the only 'official' tickets are from Statue Cruises - never heard of the pass of which you speak - you might be better off ala carte, no pass.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go select pass + other

I do find it interesting that the GO Select Pass charges to visit a free memorial in NYC, however, it does look a bit better than some of the other ones around, as you do save money, and you do just pick and choose what you want to visit.

The problem is, that your ticket for Ellis Island / Statue is not timed, so you could end up spending a considerable amount of time in a queue, waiting to get on boats across, when people with timed tickets will jump in front of you.

Also, With discount vouchers around, (TOTR especially), your saving goes from $10 to $7. You just have to ask yourself if saving $7 is worth a few hours of your time in a queue. (£4.40)

M

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go select pass + other

I used the Go Select pass recently for four specific things we wanted to do, and it was nice having those things prepaid, at a bit of a discount, when all I had to do was go through a separate line, show the QR code on my phone from the PDF file they provide, and then heading straight in. I passed the long ticket-buying line at Top of the Rock, and also used it at Harry Potter, MoMA and Radio City. So if for no other reason than convenience, it's pretty cool and to me makes more sense than Explorer Pass, New York Pass and CityPass if you won't be going too many places.

4. Re: Go select pass + other

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, September 05, 2011
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Go select pass + other

Save your money = nix the helicopter ride - not worth the money IMO........

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go select pass + other

poppa, the Go Select pass is a new-this-year option from the same company that's long sold the Explorer Pass, which they reconfigured this year as well:

smartdestinations.com/new-york-attractions-a…

I've purchased both the Go Select Pass and the Explorer Pass when hosting out-of-town visitors. Never a problem and we did indeed save money off the cost of admission for the particular things I picked.

But yes, none of the passes sold by any company include timed tickets for the boat ride to the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island National Parks. Since you'll be here midweek in the fall (I'm assuming you're planning on being here soon), you probably won't face horrible lines. Still, given the limited amount of time you'll have in NYC, I too recommend that you purchase timed admission tickets (for as early in the day as possible) from Statue Cruises itself.

www.statuecruises.com/choose_tickets.aspx

P.S. for M4RKM: it's not obvious from the initial listing you see for the National 9/11 Memorial, but picking that Go Select option gives you a Water Taxi hop-off/hop-on pass & a specific, reserved-time admission ticket to the Memorial.

smartdestinations.com/new-york-attractions-a…

Edited: 5:22 pm, September 05, 2011
wales
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Go select pass + other

I do get where your coming from with the timed tickets but I believe with this pass you just turn up, skip the que and pick up tickets for the next sailing over to liberty and onwards to Ellis island????????

I also didn't want to be tied to a set sailing time to allow for more freedom after the heli flight?????

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go select pass + other

The problem is that you can't be certain what "the next sailing" will be available to you; Statue Cruises sets X number of seats aside on every boat for non-timed ticket passengers, but others may have arrived ahead of you. Plus, the lines to pass through security checks -- which everyone must do -- typically get longer as the day goes on.

Durham, North...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go select pass + other

The Go Select pass is fantastic. We booked this pass for ESB and Statue o Liberty. For ESB, we have taken the print out of this pass and we gave that to the ticket counter. Thats it, after that we moved to security check. No long waiting queues. For Statue of Liberty , we collected our tickets from madame tussauds museum and with that we directly joined the security check queue. Money wise we got 10% discount. We are 100% satisified with Go Select passes. Will definitely refer this for my friends too.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go select pass + other

wow you MUST haver been impressed. I mean to join TA and resurrect an 8 month old thread just to praise the pass.