We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenwich Village & Chinatown

jck
Baltimore
Level Contributor
260 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Greenwich Village & Chinatown

My wife and I are taking our soon to be 12 year old daughter to NYC in a couple of weeks for her birthday. We are training it up from Balt. and have tickets for a matinee (Wed) performance of Wicked.....we are well versed about getting from PennSt. to Gershwyn Theatre for show at 2 PM. We were thinking that after the show we would head to Greenwich Village for shopping & walking around and then to Chinatown for dinner since we have never been to either area of the city. If this is a good plan, where should we start our adventure in Greenwich and what areas there should we defintely check out. Also, would love some recomendations for a quintessential place in Chinatown for a special birthday celebration...it will actually be our daughter's birthday that day. Thanks for your replies!

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,520 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Hotel
Greenwich Hotel
550 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

What kind of shopping do you want to do in Greenwich Village? (Note: Greenwich is a town in Connecticut. Greenwich Village is never shortened to Greenwich - you can say "The Village.") West 4th Street station is a good starting point - you can get there on the A, B, C or D train. As for Chinatown, what kind of place are you looking for? What's "quintessential" to you?

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,520 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Hotel
Greenwich Hotel
550 Reviews
New York City, NY
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

The Village, Chinatown? Is this what the B-Day girl wants to do? Why not take her to Central Park, rent a boat or take the gondola while the driver sings and even have a pleasant meal at The Boathouse Restaurant... nice stroll in the park afterwards, ice cream, etc... \0/

Edited: 3:47 pm, August 11, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
115,516 Reviews
New York City, NY
jck
Baltimore
Level Contributor
260 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

We have been to NYC and Central Park many times......we have relatives that have an apartment on Upper East Side and we frequently drop into city for a couple of days. The major reason for this trip is to see Wicked on her birthday. We all thought seeing different parts of NYC would be a great idea...as to shopping, my wife and daughter are very eclectic and like small avant garde types of places where they can browse. Me? I would rather drink poison than shop but it is my daughter's birthday. What is quintessential restaurant in Chinatown? Good question...that is why I have asked the experts....my daughter eats everything from sushi to steak and all things in between.....

Edited: 3:58 pm, August 11, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
115,516 Reviews
New York City, NY
Upper East Side
Upper East Side
232 Reviews
New York City, NY
4. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:54 pm, August 31, 2011
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

The Village would be a better place for a celebratory dinner and it's a much cooler place than ChinaTown,IMHO

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

Perhaps you can consider taking the subway to Brooklyn. Smith and Court streets have many great little shops and very good dining options. \0/

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

OK, if the girl wants to shop, then skip most of Greenwich Village and concentrate on Soho, Noho and Nolita. Lots of shops of all varieties, from high end designers, to the Apple Store, to indy boutiques. Not cheap, mind you, but interesting shopping and fabulous architecture.

Here's a "best of" shopping list of this area:

nymag.com/urban/…soho.htm

Some good maps:

sohoandtribecamap.com/cnt/…nolitamap2010.pdf

sohoandtribecamap.com/cnt/…nohomap2010.pdf

sohoandtribecamap.com/cnt/…SohoStores2010.pdf

Congratulations on having a child who eats everything!! Wow, that's a rare breed these days. Good for her!

Here are some ideas for funky places to eat:

* Not exactly "authentic Chinatown," but how about Chinatown Brasserie? Could be a good option.

http://chinatownbrasserie.com/

* Schiller's Liquor Bar - a "comfort food" place that was designed to look old. Excellent "trompe l'oiel", all the decor was salvaged from other places. Fun bathroom!

http://www.schillersny.com/

* Vynl - this is in Hell's Kitchen, near the Theater District. Burgers, fries aned great cocktails! And, again, excellent bathrooms!! An excellent place for adults with their tweens and teens.

http://vynl-nyc.com/

* John's of Bleecker Street - not fancy by any means, but it is one of THE quintessential "New York pizza joints." A legend.

http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/

* Arturo's - another legendary (and under-rated) NY coal-oven pizza place. Many movies filmed there.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/arturos/

Hope that helps!

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,520 Reviews
New York City, NY
SoHo
SoHo
3,684 Reviews
New York City, NY
Nolita
Nolita
55 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hell's Kitchen
Hell's Kitchen
260 Reviews
New York City, NY
John's of Bleecker Street
John's of Bleecker Street
1,551 Reviews
New York City, NY
Arturo's
Arturo's
299 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

BTW, not sure if she's ever seen Ghostbusters, but I'm sure you can appreciate "The Ghostbusters Firehouse":

gbfans.com/ghostbusters/…

Ther are LOTS of movie and TV landmarks throughout this area.

Edited: 6:12 pm, August 11, 2011
Kitty Hawk, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

As a fellow tourist who's been to NYC 3 times & headed back for 4th, I love shopping in Chinatown. I have to go every trip. I know the majority of locals think it's cheesy but where I live all we have are the same old mall stores so it's nice to get some cheap jewelry that's actually different from what everyone else wears "back home."

Mentioned in this post
j c
ny
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greenwich Village & Chinatown

There are great places to eat in Chinatown if you know where to look. I generally go a little before or a little after the busy hours to avoid the crowds.

Enjoy the variety of dim sum at the enormous Golden Unicorn and also Dim Sum a Go Go is smaller and less noisy. A noisy place where the locals go, but spotty service is Chatham Restaurant on the Bowery. There are two restaurants with similar names, I like the utilitarian looking one which is also good for take out dim sum at great prices.

My favorite restaurant is Hop Lee on Mott Street. Try the lobster with ginger s or flounder with mixed veggies, but ask for familiar veggies like brocoli, snow peas if you don't like the squash that it is normally served with. Eggplant with garlic sauce. Crabs with "dry" lobster sauce are other favorites. In season should be the tender pea shoots. Ask for the Chinese style calamari (deep fried). Not fancy decor but good food at a reasonable price. Get the shrimp with bitter melon and black bean sauce for something different.

Also good for a meal is Asian Manor at the corner of Mott and Mosco Street. The crabmeat soup in a bun is great as is their noodle dishes and less crowded than the Joe's Shanghai. Noodletown which is also at Mott Street has delicious noodle dishes.

For a fancy treat, eat at Peking Duck House. A whole duck served with crepes is amazing here. Also the lobster is outstanding as well.

I like Big Wong for their bbq meats but clanging platters here.

Just tried a new Shanghai place called Full House on 97 Bowery that was also delicious with attentive service. Ask the waiters to make recommendations of favorites.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Unicorn Restaurant
Golden Unicorn Restaurant
455 Reviews
New York City, NY
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Joe's Shanghai
Joe's Shanghai
1,596 Reviews
New York City, NY