We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best to place to buy watches?

Northampton UK
Level Contributor
229 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best to place to buy watches?

Hi there,

I'll be visiting NY in Feb my 21st birthday. My family have gave me money so i am able to buy something rememarable for my 21st. I'd really like a new watch.

I'm interested in designs like DKNY, Calvin Klein, etc etc....where would be the best places to shop, and good value for money.

Thanks

ny, ny
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best to place to buy watches?

You get get a great deal on watches at a store called Century21 which is located all the way downtown, right near the World Trade Center site. Name brands with drastic markdowns. Or try macy.s. The high, high end do not sell those name brands. Try Diesel also on Lexington and 60th they have some really cool watches.

London, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best to place to buy watches?

I checked the prices for watches in Century 21 (and anyway the stuff there, most of it anyway, is really old.. we saw some Timberland jackets from 6 years ago..) and did not find them much cheaper than in Macys, where I bought a Guess watch for $60. They give international visitors 11% discount, this is basically just the tax off ( a bit more ) but it helps.. :)

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
253 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best to place to buy watches?

Definitely tourneau. http://www.tourneau.com/ The prices go from the sublime to the ridiculous but it is well worth the trip, even if to just walk around the store. It's on 42nd I think or is it 58th? The web site will tell you.

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best to place to buy watches?

Tourneau is on 57th and Madison, most definately THE place to shop for watches in Manhattan, although it can be a little expensive. If you find nothing there, proceed to Bloomingdale's (59th and Lexington) they have everything from CK to Chanel, so you are bound to find something there.

NYC
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best to place to buy watches?

I think the best place to buy is a department store since they guarantee quality and you can exchange/return the watch. I think Macy's has the best selection and often the best prices (when they have a sale).

England
Level Contributor
211 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best to place to buy watches?

does anybody know how much a 40 mm jacob and co watch is in n/york,they are about 6000 (pounds) here in the u.k.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best to place to buy watches?

Hi,

After months of searching (intended Christmas present, and renewed effort for his 14th birthday last Friday) we have finally tracked down the watch my son wants. However actually purchasing it is another headache. It is a Swatch (model Paving stone). UK site for purchasing on line does not give the option to select the bracelet size, (he has a very small wrist), US site with full options is for US shipping only.)

Have looked at web sites for shops selling watches in NYC as on this thread, (hence my reason for posting here) but despite references being made to selling these, either on their own site or in shopping reviews, I can find no details of Swatch. I know there is a Swatch store in Times square, but can't find details of products or prices.

Finally, the question! Do you think persuading him to wait until we get to NY in 2 weeks would result in success, or should I order here and have to go to a jewellers to have the adjustment made?

Costs identified (not desperately important) 75 GBP versus 120 USD for on line ordering

Thanks for any suggestions

Pat