We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK into Times Square.

Swansea
Level Contributor
70 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
JFK into Times Square.

5 of us need to get to our hotel in Times Square, can we get in 1 Taxi? or what are our other options? Cheers Evs.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,251 Reviews
from $89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from $175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from $34.00*
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
228 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK into Times Square.

Taxis come in all shapes and sizes if you wander outside when you get to jfk the taxi co-ordinator person will fit the cab to your party size

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK into Times Square.

Did you read the answer to the very first of the Top Questions on the right of this page?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-…

Swansea
Level Contributor
70 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK into Times Square.

Thanks very much for the advice, cheers, Evs.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,799 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK into Times Square.

Taxis do not come in all shapes and sizes. They come in two sizes: the typical four person cab, and the much rarer five person cab. The dispatcher can generally get you a five person cab at the airport, but you should not expect to be able to hail a five person cab anywhere else. It will be a tight squeeze.

Your other options are to get a car service, like Dial7, Allstate or Carmel to send you a minivan, which will be a little more expensive but more roomy and comfortable, or to take public transportation. Those details are laid out in the FAQ on the right hand side of your screen. Let us know if you have more questions after reading it.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
228 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK into Times Square.

odd on the few occasions I have visited NY i have witnessed

prius

honda odyssey

toyota sienna

ford freestar

ford crown victorias

ford escapes

etc etc etc, im sure even the most pedantic of people would be able to see that those vehicles cover "all shapes and sizes" ok there arent any 2 seater supercars and no buses either but the point I was making is, in this instance, that their party would, more than likely, be catered for at the taxi rank outside JFK.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK into Times Square.

Brooklyn's point was the vast majority of cabs, whether Escapes, crown vics, priuses are 4 person max cabs. You need a minivan cab to hold 5 and those can be much harder to hail off the street. It may work at the taxi stand at the airport, but I wouldnt depend on hailing one from a street in NY. Once in the city, either split the group or take the subway, I would say.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
228 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK into Times Square.

But the OP didn't ask about hailing cabs on the street they only asked about transportation from the airport hence the title of the post "JFK into times square" not "JFK into times square then randomly hailing cabs when required".

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK into Times Square.

Personally I don't find squeezing five people into any motor vehicle particularly pleasant or comfortable.

I find the JFK AirTrain and the corresponding Long Island Rail Road connection to Penn Station the most comfortable, often the fastest and most efficient, and often the most economical.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK into Times Square.

Point noted Phatbear. I was more responding to your comment to Brooklyn, and got off the original topic. But it may be useful for the OP to know that a cab for 5 is not easy outside of the airport. And I agree with MoreFF, its not particularly comfortable. I recommend taking the LIRR to Penn Station if you can as well. I always take the subway, but visitors might be nervous. If you can handle it, the E train out of JFK (via the Airtrain) will take you right to times square in about 40min.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK into Times Square.

Nervous? I take the E train a fair amount - it just takes longer. The LIRR is faster and more comfortable. The LIRR is above ground and has some nice views. The E train is entirely underground and is just a little slower. It is all very well-marked, user-friendly, and incredibly safe.

CBS News or NBC New York (or somebody) had an article about all the people getting killed by falling trees on the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut. They're protected by some historic provision and they can't just cut them back so there are some problems. This has little to do with JFK Airport and the route to Times Square except that if safety is your concern, there are plenty of dangers out there and one of the least of your dangers is the New York City subway (super safe). I think you're in more danger with some crazy NYC taxi driver in some rust bucket barely held together with duct tape spray painted yellow than on public transport.