We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for the Met

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for the Met

I have booked two tickets for a performance at the Metropolitan Opera of New York. Is there a dress code? Would I be a spectacle in casual outfit?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,752 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for the Met

Unless it's an opening night which gets very dressy, you will see all mannner of dress. Just look neat and clean. ;)

I had a very good friend from your town in college. ;)

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for the Met

Well, it IS an opening night (next Monday, La Forza del Destino). Does it mean I have to pack a suit as well? Yikes! :-)

Have you visited my town?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,752 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for the Met

Unfortunately I've not been to Greece (yet). Umm, on the clothing, it says on their website

What is the dress code?

There is no dress code at The Met. People tend to dress more formally for Galas or openings of new productions, but this is optional. We recommend comfortable clothing appropriate for a professional setting.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for the Met

A casual outfit would definitely not be appropriate for an opening [or any performance imo, but I know not everyone shares my views on this], and I think a suit would indeed be best

Or you could go to Syms here and buy a great tux at a great price :-)

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for the Met

In my experience, people dress up more for the Met than for Broadway shows and other performances, especially at night, although you will find a wide range of attire, so I don't think you need to worry about being a spectacle. Also, I think someone who is casually attired would be more likely to find people in similar attire in the less expensive (upper) sections. When I'm traveling and want to travel light -- which is just about always these days -- I take a lot of black (turtlenecks, tees, slacks, etc), which I find gets me through a lot of situations.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code for the Met

It also depends on where you are sitting. If you are in a parterre box or an orchestra seat, I would definitely wear at least a suit -- and for an opening of a production, on the traditional "dress-up" night that Monday is, you may even see a few (very few!) people in black tie. If you are up in heaven in the Family Circle, you would not look out of place in something more casual. All the same, this is the opera, for heaven's sake! If you don't dress up for that, when would you ever dress up for? And if we never dressed up, why did we bother turning into grown-ups? Dressing up is half the fun...

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code for the Met

GWB has it right. It depends where you are sitting as to how the people around you will be dressed. Of all the entertainment in NYC, the Met opera is the dressiest, though not as dressy as it used to be.