We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cards and PINs

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
607 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cards and PINs

Forum search shows that in December it was still possible to use cards for purchases without having to enter a PIN. Is this still the case?

I have a new card, but the PIN has not come yet.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

New York City
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cards and PINs

If your atm card has either the mastercard for visa logo it should work at anyplace that accepts charge cards (12 digit number starting with a 4 or 5)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cards and PINs

Debit cards tied to checking accounts are popular here, so often a sales clerk will ask "credit or debit?" Most debit cards work either way (mine does) so I can just say it's a credit card and sign the receipt instead of entering my PIN. However, you can't access an ATM without a PIN.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cards and PINs

Here whether credit or debit you have to have a pin number to be able to purchase goods - as of yesterday if you don't know your pin number the retailer will refuse your transaction you can't sign for it (although a lot of retailers have yet to install the chip and pin machines!)

London, UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cards and PINs

Hi PatG i just got back from NY and they have these electronic signing pads which you use when making purchses - no pin required!

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cards and PINs

Thanks everyone for the info.

I have got some dollars, ordered on line yesterday and delivered at 8.30 this morning, (fantastic) debit card (with PIN) for more cash, and the new credit card for purchases, with interest free period and no foreign transaction fee (thanks again Daisegeee). As long as I can still sign for these, I think (hope)I have everything covered.

Sorry to be a pain, but I assume the hotel (biggest bill) will accept a signature for payment? Otherwise I need to transfer funds into the account with the debit card before I go.

Thanks again

Pat

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cards and PINs

Yes your hotel will ask you to sign for your credit card transactions. Chip and Pin for credit cards applies to the UK (and others) but not the US.