We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

oregon
Level Contributor
46 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

Read "The Idiot’s Guide to the Subway (Revised February 2011)" twice (Thanks to GWB), think I could handle it now (maybe). let's go....Wait a minute, I still have a question. If I don't want my two kids to have their own cards (and lose them), I could get one card and share, right? So do I hand it over to my kids after pass the turnstile (need long arm?) or do I swipe it 3 times and all 3 of us rush through together?

I have another idea. get a card, punch a hole, get a rope and hang it over my kid's neck (if they let me). Does anybody do that?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

Swipe it once and walk through, handing it to the person behind you. Next person does the same.

Up to 4 people can use it.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

Both would work. But get a cheap passport holder for them to hang around the neck if you are going to buy them their own. Also note that Up to three children 44 inches tall and under ride for free on subways and local buses when accompanied by a fare paying adult.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,955 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

The best way to share a card with kids is this: you swipe the card at the turnstile, and make sure it registers. (The screen will say "Go," as opposed to "swipe again" or "swipe again at thir turnstile" or "too fast - swipe again.") If it says Go, send one kid through. Tell the kid to wait on the other side. Swipe again. When it registers, send the second kid through. Then swipe yourself through. DO NOT leave the kids on the street side of the turnstile to swipe themselves through after you have gone through - if they have trouble with the card, you wont be able to help them.

If you have problems, a nice local will probably comne up to you, take your card from you, and swipe it for you. It's always easier to demonstrate the correct way to swipe a Metrocard than it is to describe it.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

Brooklyn Bridge has the right answer. In theory, you can also swipe it three times in a row, registering "go" each time, and then walk through one after another -- but I would not recommend that. Instead, do it as BB suggests: Mom swipes, gets a "go", and sends child #1 through; and then does the same next for #2, and finally for herself.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

Swipe, make sure says GO, repeat two times. The turnstile will now allow 3 entries. If kid is under 44 inches he/she is free. In that case they can duck under or squeeze in with you.

texas
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

I am not sure if it is in the subway guide, or if someone else said this, but have an idea of where you will meet if the doors close and any of you are not on. It is said that whoever gets on gets off at the very next stop and just stays right at that door area at platform. Then the person left behind gets on the next train that has the exact number or letter at the exact door, and rides it one stop and gets off at the very next stop, again the persons should meet up. If this does not make sense I will try to find for you the post that had it. My daughter was 20, and this happened to us, but we just got on different cars,we could see each other thru windowso knew we were ok, but if I had kids I would def have a plan.

texas
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

Just went to GWB idiot guide to subway and that is talked about on there, so hope you saw that and thought about it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
179 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

I just returned from a trip with 2 kids and we did the swipe as described. You swipe and watch, then let a child go through. You should be the last to swipe and walk through. Often, it would say "Swipe again", etc. but it always worked after a couple of tries. The machine will tell you how much is left on the card. Make note of when you will need to refill - I'm sure that you would hate to have a child waiting on the other side while you need to go to a machine to refill (though they are always close by and very easy to use). This was my first time and it all went well.

9. Re: how to share pay-per-ride metrocard with my kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, October 05, 2012