We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Having gone round and round in circles looking at various hotels/apartments and checking TA for reviews I have come to the conclusion that $270 per night for The Double Tree Metropolitan is pretty much the best deal I can find.

Was going to get an apartment with Woogoo but then read the reviews and stayed well away!

What do people think? Can I do better than this? It seems like a fantastic hotel for the price.....wouldnt mind finding somewhere cheaper though!

Any help would be seriously appreciated. My head is melting trying to decide!!!!

Thanx!!!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,539 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Yikes, $270 sounds outrageously expensive for that hotel. Would you share your travel dates and number of people? I'd be happy to do some checking.

Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Hi nywhiz thanx for your reply......there are 2 of us. We are going for my girlfriends birthday. Its her first time in New York so I want it to be special! We are arriving on March 30th and staying for 6 nights.

I am a newbie to this site but it is proving to be an absolutley incredible resource!

Any help would be seriously appreciated nywhiz.......

Thanks so much!!!!!!! :->

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Hi, I have just come back from NY. We stayed at The Barclay, Intercontinental. It is just a few minutes from The Double Tree. The Barclay was a fantastic top range hotel. I'd have a look at prices there as it really gave us the fancy New York hotel feel.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Hi Jack Essex....just had a look at their website.....seems a good bit more pricey than DoubleTree.........Thanks for the suggestion though.

Seeing as you are just back from New York, do you have any tips for must see/do things?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Hi Lc I have stayed at the Doubletree Met twice = it is a really good location, but can be a bit noisy traffic wise - there is a police station across the road. SIRENs at all odd hours !

But the hotel - good size room, nice BEDS - small bathroom - but how much time do u spend in the bathroom LOL ! I would stay there again but 270 is really top of the range for this hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Hi,

Well some of the things we thought were great was Top of the Rock at night. The first time we came we only did Empire State Building during the day. At night time it is just great. Also walking across the Brooklyn Bridge back into Downtown was really cool.

This also depends on what you are interested in but we went to Greenwich Village to see the apartment from 'Friends'. This was really great as we are both 'Friends' fans.

Hope you have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Top of the Rock
Top of the Rock
69,264 Reviews
New York City, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,030 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,993 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,495 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,539 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

You do seem to be coming at a pricey time. I will try to mention places for $270 or less that I think are nicer than the Doubl. Metro. I agree it's a fine hotel, but not at that price.

First I looked on travelzoo.com which highlights specials. Unfortunately, many of the ones listed right now are either through Feb or end of March. I did try the special at the Algonquin, a wonderfully located, older, classic, famous hotel. The room price for a deluxe queen is $209 for 4 nights but $339 for 2 nights. It totals $1737.50 with taxes for the 6 nights. Their rooms aren't huge, but this is a lovely hotel with a really nice lobby lounge and bar. The location is near Fifth Ave. and Times square.

On quikbook.com the Eastgate Tower has a queen or king studio suite (like an apartment with kitchenette) for a total of $1284 without taxes (tax is about 13.7%). (price fluctuates b/w $189-$249 during the 6 nights).

Also on quikbook is the Blakely (deluxe king/queen) for $229-259 for a total w/o tax of $1494.

I think these are 3 really good options. The first (Algonquin), is a great hotel with wonderful public space and a great location. The second (Eastgate Tower) is a suite hotel that will feel more like an apartment (but with daily maid service etc.) to give you a bit more space. The last (Blakely) is a smaller hotel that was renovated about 2 years ago that gets great reviews. It's within a short walk of Times Square, the theaters and Central Park.

While booking on any of these websites I mentioned would be perfectly fine, I would also check on the hotel's own site to see if you can get the same (or better price).

If they're not the same or better, use these sites. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Metro
Hotel Metro
4,408 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
44,107 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Blakely New York
The Blakely New York
1,518 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,297 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Thanks for looking into that for me. I had never heard of quikbook.com before.....What do you know about Hotel QT? It looks pretty good and I read a good review of it in a newspaper in London a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,819 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,539 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

The Hotel QT is a newish budget hotel in the Times Square area that's trying to be a cool, trendy spot. If you're 35 or less, it could be fun. There's a swimming pool in the lobby bar. This can also make it noisy. Rooms are VERY compact---usually just big enough for the bed and some space to walk around it. Look at photos posted with the reviews on this site. The Hotel 41 is, I think, a better option in that area for a cool boutique hotel. Not sure what the diff. in price would be.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,107 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dublin
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Double Tree Metropolitan Hotel

Hey I took a look at Hotel 41.....prefer the look of Hotel QT and have booked it but can cancel at any time up to a few days before hand. So if I find anywhere else I can change my plans. I will keep my eyes peeled to the forums for more info!!!! Thanks for all your help! Hopefully our paths may cross on the forum again. Cheers!