We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

Does anyone know if the Suites 57 Manhattan rentals

on the World Wide Plaza is legitimate rental? According

to its advertisment on the www.suites57.com website

The building is an entire block, from 49th to 50th Street, from 8th to 9th Avenue. Broadway and Times Square are very close to the

apartment.

Here is the webpage on vbro--please check it out and let me know if this legitimate. There are other rentals in that building and advertised on the suites 57 website as well.

http://www.vrbo.com/207030.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from $175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from $199.00*
$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from $83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from $36.00*
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

Please read the second "Top Question" that appears on the right hand side of this page --- "Why are Vacation Rentals a Bad Idea in NYC?"

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

The new yorkers will tell you it's illegal to rent an apartment for less than a month in NYCity. This just invites scams .... and those scammed are usually people who don't know the law or people who do know but want what they want no matter what.

I see things on the suites 57 website that say 'scam' to me. If you select the 3 bedroom/2 bath apartment 14 the pictures show 3 bedrooms ... one with a king-sized bed, one with 2 doubles and and one with a queen. I see lots of carpetting ... BUT the TEXT in the description for that apartment says something much different -- 2 bedrooms, all hardwood.

Here's a direct cut and paste from the website:

"This great apartment is located in a 24-hr prewar, doorman building. There are great views facing North of the City and East of the 59th Street Bridge going to Queens.

All floors are hardwoods. There several closet spaces. There are two bedrooms: one of them has a king size bed and the other one has two double beds. There is a queen size sofabed in the living room, for an additional two people. Rollaway beds can be provided upon request at no extra charge. There is plenty of room for the tenant to store clothes."

ALSO ....I didn't spend tons of time, but I don't see the VRBO rental on the suites 57 site.

Edited: 7:11 am, May 24, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

So ... did you go ahead with it? I'm curious

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,096 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

Really?? Why, is getting scammed a fun part of your holiday planning?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

How is that even remotely constructive? Wouldn't it be helpful if this person, having attempted to rent from this company or not, had some more information? I'm asking a fairly simple question. If you don't have anything to actually contribute then just don't get involved.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

So ... why are you curious? I'm curious

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

Because I, like many others, had seen these many vacation rental sites and thought it was a good idea. I've been in contact with this "company" however I have found it all to be a bit ... odd. So now I see this information here on tripadvisor and I want to know if anyone has actually ever rented something from Suites 57. I'm one of those people who, once I get a sniff of something strange, I want to be absolutely sure. I'm not absolutely sure so, if you're genuinely worried, I'm not going to rent from these people. Doesn't mean I don't want to get an answer though.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,096 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

Well, if upthread it says vacation rentals are illegal in NYC for less than 30 days, and also that many "rentals" are outright scams, it really surprises me that you would have any interest in pursuing the question.

That would mean you are declaring an interest in breaking the law during your visit, just an odd thing to state really. But to each his own.

As for staying out of it, why would I? This is a forum for travel discussion after all.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

Check this out ... first post in this thread was nearly 4 years ago, but the most recent post was last week ... and it's all very, very relevant to the topic.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1563270…

Edited: 4:03 pm, September 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suites 57 Manhattan Rentals

Isn't it always ignorance that drives this kind of drivel? I'm looking to stay in NYC for 44 days. I also said pretty clearly that I found this information on trip advisor after I started talking with this "company". Of course you're entitled to post wherever and whenever you want, however that doesn't make it useful or relevant. I'm asking for information, expressly for no other reason than being curious. That is, after all, what I said in the first place.