We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newark Airport Express

Stoke on trent...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Newark Airport Express

Hi,

Two of us are travelling into Newark from the UK next Thursday evening (and back the following Tuesday evening), getting out of the way of the Royal Wedding.

Our hotel is on West 44th street , so the Newark Airport Express seems a good option as Ive seen somewhere it stops nearby at Bryant Park?

Previously i've used the Air Train into Penn, I just thought that getting the bus nearer to the hotel would be less fuss (ie not having to get from penn to the hotel after the train)?

Can anyone confirm this and is it a good option?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Bryant Park
Bryant Park
19,537 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York, New York
Level Contributor
11,950 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newark Airport Express

Depending upon where your hotel is on West 44th St. (what streets is it between? which hotel is it?) it might be easier and faster to take the Newark Airport Express to the Port Authority Bus terminal. All in all it does sound as if taking the bus will leave you closer to the hotel. But remember, buses and taxis are subject to traffic jams and delays because of accidents. This is not the case with the NJ Transit train.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Newark Airport Express

Thanks for the reply.

The hotel is the City Club Hotel, it looks good on paper...

PS do I need to pack a big coat? I've been looking on the webcam and seen some people in shorts which is great. We've been twice before, Christmas a couple of years ago and October two years before that. Whilst at Christmas you expect very cold temperatures, the October was freezing too, I just don't want to get caught out this time.

Mentioned in this post
City Club Hotel
City Club Hotel
894 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York, New York
Level Contributor
11,950 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newark Airport Express

Okay. The hotel is between 5th & 6th Aves., so in that case, I'm going to say that the the Newark Airport Express is probably the best option--Unless you're going to be coming in during rush hour.

You say the bus stops "somewhere" near Bryant Park. When you get there it will be important to know exactly where you're being left off! Other than that, Bryant Park is about three blocks from your hotel, so unless it's pouring rain, it should be fine.

P.S. What time will your flight arrive? Will you have to go through Customs and get your passport stamped? If you will be traveling during rush hour, I would probably take the NJ Transit Train. If you are NOT arriving during rush hour, then the bus would be okay. A 30-minute trip to Penn Station could be compared to a 1-hour or more trip by bus during rush hour.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Bryant Park
Bryant Park
19,537 Reviews
New York City, NY
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Newark Airport Express

The bus stops at 42nd Street and 5th Avenue - which is a good stop for you.

Mentioned in this post
42nd Street
42nd Street
354 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newark Airport Express

This is still early spring here and we haven't been having the beautiful weather the UK has been having. Last year we were basking in the sun and running around in shorts while you all were enduring your usual damp / chilly weather. This year we seem to have gotten the short end of the stick.

The weekend is supposed to be dry but chilly. Next week is supposed to be chilly and potentially a bit wet at times. Sadly the warmest weather is supposed to draw to a close on Wednesday.

The Olympia Airport Express bus is fantastic. It runs every 15 - 20 minutes and it does indeed travel across 42nd Street.

My first choice of airports is always JFK or LaGuardia but when I find myself at Newark, particularly when the trains cut back to reduced frequency at night, I take the Olympia bus. It is good.

Mentioned in this post
42nd Street
42nd Street
354 Reviews
New York City, NY
LaGuardia Airport
LaGuardia Airport
East Elmhurst, NY
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
West Virginia
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Newark Airport Express

I have used this express bus service several times and honestly say that it has been a very useful and convenient service for me. The few tips I would suggest to all potential passengers is

1) In case you are booking online please print your actual ticket (with the bar code) immediately. They will not accept any other confirmation / receipt, etc and you may be forced to pay again while riding the bus.

2) If you want to catch the bus from terminal A, please note that this bus does not stop at the regular area (where all buses and parking shuttles pick up) instead you have to go to courtyard (sort of bus station where the buses start from) which is immediately on the left side of terminal A on the arrival level. Please do not get misled by signs saying "Bus to New York" and go down to regular pick up area. You may end up wasting a lot of time. (I did). From terminal B and C this is not a problem and you may board the bus from regular pick up area. Remember the bus only stops at places where it is clearly marked "Newark airport Express" overhead.

3) During rush hours it may take much longer than the advertised 45 minutes (1-2 hours) and 15 minute intervals. A better option would be to take the air train + NJ transit to Penn station.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Macomb, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newark Airport Express

We had the worst experience ever with this company! The bus would not start after they locked our luggage in the underneath storage. The couldn't get our luggage out, wouldn't give us a refund and took over an hour to get the bus running again!!! I went ahead to the airport while my husband stayed with our bag. They didn't want to let me on another bus because I didn't have a ticket. The "supervisor" who took my ticket and didn't give me a receipt left right after the bus broke down and the new one didn't want to let me back on!!!! Not so much as an apology, no updates about when we might get running again, AWFUL!

8. Re: Newark Airport Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, June 21, 2013