We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you leave your dog off his/her leash prior to 9 am in CP

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Can you leave your dog off his/her leash prior to 9 am in CP

In a recent trip report, a peep wrote:

"In the morning we walked across the park to catch the subway downtown. We couldn't help but notice the number of dogs, all out without leashes. We were so surprised by this (and by all of them getting along so well) that I asked someone who told me that prior to 9:00AM one can let dogs off leash at Central Park."

HUH?

Can that be right?

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,261 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you leave your dog off his/her leash prior to 9 am in CP

It is partially right, but an important phrase is missing.

From the NYC Department of Parks website:

"With proof of current dog license and rabies vaccination, owners can allow dogs to run off-leash in certain designated areas from the time the park opens until 9 a.m. AND from 9 p.m. until the park closes"

http://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/dogruns

Remember: Google is your friend

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,270 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you leave your dog off his/her leash prior to 9 am in CP

Nice GWB - Actually, I tell all my uptown bus people to come up early (on the subway) to see this. Of course most of them do not. I will often walk across the park in the morning and take the C train just because the Great Lawn at that hour is such a NY thing. Everyone knows each other's dogs but few of the people know each other.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you leave your dog off his/her leash prior to 9 am in CP

One of my dogs run in Central Park pretty off their leash all over. The other one is too excited so I usually have to keep him on a long leash to reel him in if he runs to far away.

However, if the sign says dogs must be leashed (like on the bridle path) or no dogs allowed (like around the Reservoirs ) then it is not permitted.

So while there exist a 9am rule. It is at the owners discretion and also the signs posted as to where a dog MUST be on their leash.

If another person wants to pet the dog they usually first ask: "his he or she is friendly" or if another person wants their dog to meet your dog they ask the same thing. It is also important not to approach a dog with excitement as that will excite the dog. If you approach an excited dog, ignore the dog and then pay attention to it when he/she is calm.

In NYC there is (as with many other things) a dog culture with those who own dogs.

"Everyone knows each other's dogs but few of the people know each other." this is so true :)

Edited: 8:48 am, April 10, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,261 Reviews
New York City, NY
4. Re: Can you leave your dog off his/her leash prior to 9 am in CP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 26, 2012