We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

My daughter would like to purchase makeup whilst in America, and would like to know what makeup brand is made or manufactured there. We would like to compare prices - from Australia.

I am sure we could buy most brands of makeup from most department store over the US.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

There are loads. A couple of examples are Benefit and MAC.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

Okay. Have heard of Mac, although i dont think they sell that brand in Bendigo where I live but will check it out. Thanks.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

Any of the Estee Lauder brands:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Brands

Additionally, I like Laura Mercier, NARS, LORAC, and Fresh.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,467 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

There are 2 levels of make up brands here, those sold in drugstores in packages on j hooks like Revlon, Maybelline, Cover Girl, L'Oreal, Almay (all American) and those sold in Department stores like Estee Lauder, Clinique, MAC, Benefit, Lancome, Bobbi Brown. While MAC started as a Canadian brand it's now owned or distributed by Estee Lauder which is an American company.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

nywhiz - we have the same two levels of makeup here in Australia. But we dont have drugstores? Are they supermarkets or chemists, as we call them here?

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

Yes, drugstore = chemist.

IMHO, if you want the classic American item of makeup, get Maybelline's Great Lash mascara in the pink tube. Hard to beat.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,467 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

Closer to Chemists. ;) Duane Reade is the largest chain in Manhattan with a store seemingly on every other block. Sephora is a cosmetics department store for lack of a better description. They do makeovers for free. You should go and have your face done. ;) If you're into make up, you should do a little research on which products are are most favored. Sephora's website can help with that since they have product reviews. Smashbox is another brand that's good and hasn't been mentioned.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

Nearly ALL brands of cosmetics are cheaper here, whether they are American owned or not. You will find Clinique, Lancome, Clarins etc etc half the price of Australia.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

Yes, i agree. I love that mascara, lots of movie stars and celebrities recommend it also.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What brand of makeup is USA made or owned?

nywhiz - thank you, you are so knowledgeable and I look forward to your replies. As my daughter dances she wears alot of makeup on stage so I am sure we will do lots of 'makeup' shopping, along with lots of other shopiing....... Thank you also for the help with the dance schools, she is spending a day at a school in Manhattan, a great experience and cant wait.