We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gramercy area?

MMMGirkin
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Gramercy area?

For a 12 day visit in September - we've found a hotel that we like in the Gramercy area. Just wondering if this area would be suitable for exploring the city? Is it nice? safe to walk at night? We wanted to be a little bit out of the touristy areas and also be in proximity to soho and greenwich.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gramercy area?

Yes, it is suitable for exploring the city. Yes, it is nice. Yes, it is safe to walk at night. You will be a mile north of Soho, but you will be nowhere near Greenwich, because Greenwich is a town in Connecticut. You will, on the other hand, be reasonably close to Greenwich Village, which is either called by its full two-word name, or else is shortened to "the Village" -- but never just to "Greenwich".

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gramercy area?

I'd be interested to know what hotel it is, what dates you're staying and what rate you're getting. I'm hoping to bag something cheap for my September stay.

The area is fine, a bit quiet, not that much going on IMO, but easily walkable or a subway ride to some nicer areas.

M

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gramercy area?

Gramercy Park area is perfectly safe. You should have no concerns. There are a lot of really nice restuarants in the area. You made a good choice.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gramercy area?

If your hotel is the Gramercy Park Hotel, you'll be among the elite: the hotel has a key to the gate of Gramercy Park. I've been a guide for 15 years and was the secretary of GANYC, but have never been able to wangle an entry into Gramercy Park.

It's a really nice neighborhood. The west side of the park still has a few original 1830s houses, and two lush luxe mansions are on the park's south side. It's also the site of the boarding-house from the time-travel novel, "Time And Again."

Pete's Tavern, a hangout of the writer O. Henry, is a few blocks south on Irving Place.

@tourguidestan on twitter

MMMGirkin
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gramercy area?

thanks so much for your opinions!

*wish* it was the gramercy park hotel, but the Marcel is more in our price range

there are some good rates on booking.com for september

can't wait to visit soho and *greenwich*

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gramercy area?

Well, have a wonderful time in Connecticut, then; there are regular trains to Greenwich from Grand Central Terminal, and if you ask anyone here "how do I get to Greenwich?", that is probably how you will be told to go.

Also note that you weren't given mere "opinions", but were instead given factual information.

And you're welcome.

Edited: 10:06 pm, March 19, 2011
MMMGirkin
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gramercy area?

yes as clearly how 'nice' an area is, is factual, not opinion based in any way...

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gramercy area?

The Marcel is four blocks from my office and three from my mom's house, so it's safe to say I know the area well. It's a very nice area. Busy, bustling, lots of office workers and college students - there's an art school basically around the corner as well as a public business college and a large NYU dorm. It's walking distance to a lot of different attractions and neighborhoods, and there are great food options nearby. You'll love it. Ask if you want more specific suggestions in the immediate area.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gramercy area?

indeed

It is right on top of the School of Visual Arts and Baruch College and annexes of NYU.

It is an okay place to stay

No worries whatsoever

Edited: 11:45 pm, March 19, 2011
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gramercy area?

MMMGirkin, since you could not be bothered to research this neighborhood yourself, you asked for information, and were given answers by people who took the time and effort to assist you. When people here answered your oddly-phrased question about how "nice" the area was (your word, by the way), they probably based their answers on such things as the architectural quality of the area, its safety, its average household income, and the number and quality of neighborhood amenities such as restaurants and shops. Certainly, that is how I answered the question. Such things are facts, just as it is a fact that the neighborhood in Manhattan is not called "Greenwich" by New Yorkers.

In return for the efforts made on your behalf, though, you have been insultingly dismissive. You may want to note that it is also a fact that this attitude is not a good way to get other people to assist you in the future.