We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shooting range in New York City

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Shooting range in New York City

I was just wondering if there are any shooting ranges where you can go for an afternoon or something without having a license? I have found West side rifle and pistol range, but not sure if tourists can just show up.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tribeca Sailing
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Top Dog Tours NYC
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
CityRover Walks NY
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shooting range in New York City

The requirements are on the website for the range you mention

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,658 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shooting range in New York City

The Westside Range is the only place of its kind in NYC; other places in the city are rod and gun clubs with even stricter membership requirements, including character references.

The concept of the US as being very gun-happy doesn't really apply in NYC, where most handguns are banned. It's one of the many ways NYC is different from much of the rest of the country.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shooting range in New York City

The Westside range website plainly states that only permanent US residents may fire a rifle at the range. Tourists form London tend not to be permanent US residents. Furthermore, no one may fire a handgun at a range in New York City without having the appropriate license from the New York City Police Department, which most tourists clearly donot have.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shooting range in New York City

If you plan to visit Las Vegas in your US travels, there are a couple of wide open to anyone shooting ranges and they are REALLY popular with visitors from the UK.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shooting range in New York City

I know it's not the exact same thing, but if you want to shoot something then perhaps an archery range. Back when I was a Boy Scout, believe it or not, our Scoutmaster used to take us to an archery range in Queens. It was fun ..... you know ..... shooting things. I'm still amazed no one "poked an eye out" ..... like my mother predicted.

Edited: 3:46 pm, March 04, 2011
6. Re: Shooting range in New York City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, March 05, 2012